What a crummy mess!

Nan_in_Tucson

So sometimes I like to try something extreme, to see what it does. I thought this was a bit extreme, but I made it anyways.

40oz olive oil

20oz coconut oil

10oz jojoba oil

22oz water

9.3oz lye

at trace

2oz rosemary eo

1oz sage eo

7oz sea salt

I made it on Wednesday, today I am trying to cut it, and it is just crumbling all over the place, I can't cut a whole bar, they just come apart.

Dear, dear. I think I may just have to crumble it all up, put it in muslin bags or something.

This recipe is NOT a keeper! :laugh2: Although it does smell good.

Nan

Dear, dear. I think I may just have to crumble it all up, put it in muslin bags or something.

Nan

Mmm, foamy-soapy bath teas. There you go, Nan. Just convince yourself you meant to do that all along and you're gold.

:grin2: :grin2:

Yeah, it was full trace. Took a while, but it was full trace.

I didn't check for zap. I'm one of those that just can't bring myself to lick soap. :shocked2: I used it on my hands, and it feels fine, lathers wonderfully.

Oh, hey, I've got my camera out taking pics of something else, let me get a pic of the salt pile.

Nan

I agree as probably was the salt since salt will make your bars more crumbly and hard to cut. When I make my salt bars, I use my Kelsie mold so I don't have to cut them and I unmold them in about 2 hours. I also use the same amount of salt that I have oils.

Hmmmm now I am wondering about this since I noticed she only used 7 oz of salt to 70 oz of oils. I've never used that little of salt so do you think it could still be the salt? I still can't think of anything else it would be though but it was just a thought I had.

I just had a batch of Jewelweed & Oatmeal soap that wanted to crack & break up on me when I tried to cut them (think it was a bit lye heavy but with curing I am getting less & less zap). Had my hubby cut them on the band saw for me. He said it worked fine.

Glo