Air freshner question

I prefer the vermicullite actually... but it's been increasingly difficult to find. Although, I do have to say- I haven't been on a hard search for it since a few of my local dept stores didn't carry it in the garden area and I decided to test the litter. I'm pretty sure I could get the vermicullite from a local place that is a national catalogue house for seeds and plants (territorial Seed Co.) - just haven't been serious enough to go ask for it yet. I did however ask my local feed and grain store and was told yes they carry it but they buy it in bulk and sell it in #50 bags at at time. Um, i'll pass, lol.

As a room freshener- I can't say how great it is or isn't. I made vacuume cleaner bags out of it. It's light weight and vac's up easily, holds scent great. As it remains in the vac bag the air circulates and makes the room smell great. My very first one I made just to test lasted about 6 vac sessions before it weakened. I'm sure it would be great for closets or drawers too. It's just not pretty enough to put in organza so I did mine in the canvas draw string bags as vac bag freshner. But it would probably be a great additive to any other kind of base material.

I prefer the vermicullite actually... but it's been increasingly difficult to find. Although, I do have to say- I haven't been on a hard search for it since a few of my local dept stores didn't carry it in the garden area and I decided to test the litter. I'm pretty sure I could get the vermicullite from a local place that is a national catalogue house for seeds and plants (territorial Seed Co.) - just haven't been serious enough to go ask for it yet. I did however ask my local feed and grain store and was told yes they carry it but they buy it in bulk and sell it in #50 bags at at time. Um, i'll pass, lol.

As a room freshener- I can't say how great it is or isn't. I made vacuume cleaner bags out of it. It's light weight and vac's up easily, holds scent great. As it remains in the vac bag the air circulates and makes the room smell great. My very first one I made just to test lasted about 6 vac sessions before it weakened. I'm sure it would be great for closets or drawers too. It's just not pretty enough to put in organza so I did mine in the canvas draw string bags as vac bag freshner. But it would probably be a great additive to any other kind of base material.

So can you share how you made the vacuum cleaner bags. This is exactly what I have been thinking about lately.

Well... because I don't have a scale yet and I just play around with experiments and small quantities- I can only tell ya in those terms. I don't know what a full lb of verm. would take far as FO, etc.

I have those small canvas drawstring bags and used them for the bag. Tie a bow instead of a knot and the buyer can decide if they want it for under their car seat, a drawer OR to open it and dump about half the bag at a time across the carpet to be vac'd up. You don't even really need to wait to vac- the point is more to have it get in the vac bag so that the air can circulate and spread the scent around as they vac. The same idea as a room spray only you don't have as much nasty to breathe and get something clean all at the same time, lol. I think it lingers longer as well.

Anyhoo, for each 3/4 bag (probably a cup + /- of Verm- and you don't want to fill it too full or air won't circulate around it as well and let it give off scent if they are using it as a sachet) I added 3 lid fulls ( I would say equals 1 1/2 tsp.) of FO. Back up, I forgot to mention to add the fo to the Verm. while the verm. is in an FO safe baggie or coverable small bowl. Stir and let sit covered for at least 24 hrs. It should not look or be wet at the 24 hr mark. Add a bit more or less of either as needed if the verm appears to not be drying. As long as it is dry you can bag it up. I think I will experiment with adding a scent fixative to help adhere and absorb the FO. But MINIMALLY, or it won't be cost effective. A bit of baking soda sprinkled in, in barely noticeable amts might also be a good idea. Just haven't gotten that far in my playing yet. :smiley2: They can sprinkle it across the floor or dump directly into canister.

A word to the wise. For canister vacs, corn cob material that is not 110% dry is not a good idea, lol.

Again, sorry I can't have full on instructions for a full batch and such. I hope this helps some though. Good luck!

For the vac., Cinnamon. It is great for the entire fall/holiday season...if that's what you're going for. Then if it doesn't sell well for you, or if you aren't happy with the results, you haven't lost a whole lot. It appeals to both men and women, and it's even good as car air fresh.

• 2 years later...
We purchased sachet base from the candlemakers store, set up all the jars,packaged it in the paper envelope, and it seems to be holding the scent very well. We really like it because it is not very labor intensive and can be mark up well. Here is my question. Does anyone know what it really is? It seems like odorless kitterlitter. My husband says it looks like and feels like the "Sta Dri" that they use in the shop(he is a large equip. mechanic) that they throw down to soak up their spills. It contains no chemicals or smells and cost about $8.00 a #40lb bag. It makes sense that this could be the same that they sell for the sachet base. Candlemakers is very reasonable for the base ($12.50 for 50 lbs.) but it costs us $30.00 to ship it. Does anyone know about this?

I know this is an old post, but I can't let it die:) Does anyone know where to find this "sta dri"? All I can find locally is "ZEP", has anyone used this?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhf/R-100670189/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Says it is "15 times more absorbent than clay products and is dust free"...