any suggestion on a good wax for tarts??

I have one container down and votives. i would really like to try tarts...any suggestions on what wax to use? Can I use my votive wax IGI4794?

And what do you think about those new silicone muffin pans (they look like red plastic) could you use those for the molds?:highfive:

I don't know what the optimal wax for tarts is:laugh2:

...my tarts are a by product of my containers, using left over wax.. so they are made with j223, I do harden them up with some stearic, as the 223 alone is too soft for them to hold their shape..and they smell great, and melt nice.

4794 is fine for tarts. You can also use other votive waxes, like 6228, or mix your votive wax with some container wax. It's really up to you. They are kind of hard to mess up.

thank you for your reply..so do you think I could use those silicone pans I asked about?

I know that some ppl have used the silicone bakeware before without a problem. I think though you should not use the silicone mold release because it will interact with the mold itself. I bought a really cute rose muffin silicone pan but have yet to try it. I would say go for it:cheesy2:

I bought some of the red silicone muffin type molds to make tarts with and the tarts completely stuck to the mold! These weren't purchased from a candle supplier, but from a grocery store, so perhaps it wasn't the right material. I had to throw them all away (the molds). I just ordered a silicone mold for tarts that makes 40 at once, but it's for candles so I know I won't have a problem.

As for wax? I mix OK6228 with either a container wax or soy wax to help it melt faster. I definitely wouldn't make tarts with 4627 unless you pour until the paper muffin cups and sell them that way. That wax is so soft that I don't think anything will harden it up.

4794 makes wonderful tarts too. It's really hard to mess up tarts, as long as you have a good wax from one of the wax suppliers along with good FO's.

DanaE

I actually vary between waxes, 1218 and 4286. Reason being is sometimes I overshoot how much wax I need for pillars or votives and it's 'oh look, enough for tarts, WOO HOO!'

I bought the metal mini-muffin mold (makes 24) and am planning on buying another one. I had someone tell me they look like gumdrops once when I had displayed a pic in the gallery, and they're right, they're TOO cute! The only thing I've goofed on is not priming the metal with release spray and when I get into the zone, I keep forgetting so when they don't pop right out, gotta give the mold a couple of whacks to get them out. Guess that means I've gotta get out of the zone long enough to spray it!

I love the metal mold, all of my molds are metal though there are some that say that silicone is fabulous too. Just a matter of experience and experimentation, but I vote for the metal mold!