pouring temp for silicone moulds?

Hi,

I've just used my brownie mould for the 1st time and bits of the blue silicone have come off onto the brownie. The inside of the mould is rough, like the top of a brownie, so there are bits on it.

Also, the wax doesn't look very brown, its a bit chalky looking in places. I poured at 175, is this too high?

thanks

The bit and pieces have nothing to do with pour temp that is the fact the mold might be too detailed.

I have poured much higher temps so your pour temp not to high you can warm your molds up in an oven set on low for about 10 minutes before pour that should help with the chaulky look. I would bet your mold was too cold and cooled the wax to fast.

The whitish part is from the mold pulling the color from the wax. I find the longer I let the wax set in the mold the worse it gets. And the purple seems the worst. I got some clear silicone molds that are the best and don't seem to be doing this. How rough can a brownie top be? It should work it's way out after a few pours, probable just loose pieces.

thanks, I'll just keep remelting and pouring until the blue bits go then. Tried at 165 and it did the same. I tried a mini jammie dodger made from the same silicone and that was fine, so must be the detail like you say.

Going to give them a real good wash out with warm soapy water, then repour.

The thought of putting a silicone mould in the oven freaks me out lol, as well as the smell. They stink foul on their own without heat! maybe the hairdryer

The whitish part is from the mold pulling the color from the wax. I find the longer I let the wax set in the mold the worse it gets. And the purple seems the worst. I got some clear silicone molds that are the best and don't seem to be doing this. How rough can a brownie top be? It should work it's way out after a few pours, probable just loose pieces.

You would not think it could be but if they made it with piped type frosting it could the really thin parts of the frosting is getting caught in the wax and pulling out with the wax. I have had similar happen in really finely detailed rose molds where the petals are really thin.

I wonder if it has to do with the type of silicone its made from too? I had a grubby-type silicone mold and when I poured the wax at too HOT a temp I got that white frosting. Pour it lower made for a MUCH better result. This mold just happened to be pink - but I assume they can color it any way they want?

Yes, they can color them any color they want, but there can be a huge difference in silicone types. Some are so soft that they bend out of shape permanently if you're not careful.:mad: Others are so soft and flexible that you can turn them inside out, and they always go back to their original shape. And they run the gamit in between.