Label Recommendations?

None of the clear inkjet labels are waterproof to my knowledge. It has been recommended to spray them with krylon after printing to waterproof them, but my experience with this method was that they yellowed.

The white waterproof inkjet labels really are waterproof. I've got some jars with those labels that have been through the dishwasher several times, and they truly are waterproof.

Tada! Waterproof clear inkjet labels!

http://www.rippedsheets.com/nr/bw11.05.html

http://www.rippedsheets.com/inkjet/104090waterproofClearLabel.html

This might be handy though... A small excerpt from the "tips" page by The Buying Group:

I'm sure there are many of you out there who have seen my recommendations for using Avery clear inkjet labels, and waterproofing them with Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Clear glaze. This method works great for every product except those that are stored in the shower, such as shower gel. I obsessed for a while over why this happened, and I think I've finally figured it out.

In order to make the ink adhere to the labels, they're coated with a matte finish, that will scrape or rub off with water, no matter what you spray on it as a coating. Hence, with each use a little more of the coating comes off, until the bottle is left with just a clear, empty, and shiny label stuck to it.

Once I figured this much out, I obsessed over what to do about it. The answer was so obvious, I had to smack myself for not thinking of it before.

I now cover the label with another clear label. Since the issue has never been getting the labels to stick to the bottles (they stick darn well) this works great. And with a little practice, it's not difficult at all to line them up straight. But if you try this, you will notice that the matte finish mentioned above leaves the labels slightly blurry, again a less than desirable result.

So, once you've stuck the second label on good and tight, run the bottle under water and use a nail brush to scrub off that finish. It only takes about 20 seconds, and the result is a very shiny, waterproof, and professional looking label which looks exceptionally good (if I do say so myself) on clear bottles.

The clear labels do not show up on dark items, such as cobalt bottles.

However, I've been toying with some ideas, and so far the best one seems to be this: Cut a piece of white or light colored paper slightly smaller than your label (maybe, 1/8" all around). Stick this behind the label for contrast. Then cover with the second label and proceed as above.

I hope this helps someone, and if you have any questions, just ask!

http://www.the-buying-group.com/tricks.php

In my experience, laser ink, no matter what it's printed on, is waterproof. I got a laser printer for the speed of print, and was pleasantly surprised to realize that my soap labels, which are plain ol' paper, didn't smear at all when I accidentally dripped water on it once.

Just because a label is waterproof does not mean the label you print is waterproof. If you aren't using waterproof ink, it WILL fade or smear off. (referring to ink jet)

I have been having luck with my acrylic spray but I have also ordered clear labels to put on top of my printed waterproof. I personally don't want the expense of double labels so as long as my acrylic spray is working. I am going to compare the spray with the clear labels. As long as I can get my acrylic spray to do the job, I am sticking with it. If not, I will use the clear labels on top for shower gel only and the spray for other body products.

I am not going to go through the expense of a laser printer until my ink jet dies. The ink cartridges for laser printers are expensive :(

Yeah :(

I just replaced my black toner, paid 255 ringgit (roughly $74) and am dreading the day the other 3 color toners run out.

Then again, I think it pans out, or actually, is even cheaper to get a laser printer in the long run. Each of my toners has a 2,500 page yield (that's low already, some of the cartridges for more expensive machines have a 10,000-20,000 page yield per toner) compared to the 200-400 page yield inkjet cartridges have on average, and original inkjet cartridges are like, 50-70 ringgit ($15-20).

I've only replaced one cartridge in over a year, compared to the 4-5 cartridges per color I've seen my office inkjet printer go through in roughly the same (or shorter) period of time. There are knock-offs that cost about 20 ringgit per cartridge, but those are like playing Russian roulette with your printer.

Makes me wonder what on earth I've been printing.

Also saves me the cost of getting waterproof labels and time spent spraying Krylon.

Love my HP 2600n :bliss:

I have used white, colors and clear laser labels from online labels, I even use the silver poly labels. They are all great labels and I have never had a problem with smearing, fading, yellowing or water effecting them.

I use to buy from Planet Labels, they are good too but I like online better, they have a bigger size variety.

• 3 years later...

I have used weatherproof labels from online labels and they do smear on the body scrub probably due to the oil in the body scrub,,,and over time on my malibu face scrub the colors start to get funky looking. I have done the strapping tape on those labels with good results,,, but geeze I figure why spent the money on weatherproof labels when I have to tape them...well the issue I am having now with regular labels sprayed with sealer is curling edges and also bleeding ink....so i will have to tape those and see how it goes