To Gel or Not To Gel?

CBE

I've seen a few posts on here concerning gelling of CP soap. Some people like gelling... some avoid it.

So, if a soap gels... what properties does it give the soap? Does it give a better looking soap?

I've only had two batches gel on me, all the others didn't. I do prefer the look of the soap with the batches that DID gel.

What is the difference between a soap batch that gels and a soap batch that doesn't gel? Any experiences anyone would like to share? :grin2:

The only difference I have noticed at all in any of my soaps that gel or not is the appearance and the cure time. Everything else is exactly the same.

Gelling really is a personal preference. I gel all of my soaps with the exception of my GM soaps that I immediately shove in my fridge to avoid it.

One thing I've noticed is that, when using FOs that are known to discolor, my soaps that don't gel tend not to turn as dark as the ones that reach full gel.

I used an FO recently that not only turned the soap brown-black (yes, a vanilla blend) but the lather it made was dark brown too. The half of the batch that didn't gel still had brown bubbles, but not as noticeably so as the half that got insulated and reached full gel.

Just an observation...

Kya

Can someone please explain exactly what gelling is, how you ensure that it does or does not happen? Thx!

Once oils and lye are mixed together, they begin to saponify. Saponification is the chemical reaction that makes soap. This chemical reaction gives off heat The soap mixture will retain enough heat to create what's called a "gel stage" - it will get so hot that it almost liquefies and turns translucent and really does look like a gel. Once the chemical reaction is done, it will cool back down and harden. In flat or slab molds, you may only get the gelling in the center or partial gel, leaving the edges cool and opaque.

To avoid gel, I put my soap in the fridge. You can also try soaping cooler - with RT oils and lye, and keeping your mold in front of a fan to avoid gel.

I gel all my soaps too. I like the looks of the gelled soap especially since I use only goat milk. Many who use goat milk do not like gel, but I embrace it! I also feel the soap is a little firmer faster and has a better texture. I think curing time is a bit sooner also. Just my 2cents worth though. LOl

"To gel or not to gel, that is the question!" :laugh2:

Paul....

I gel all my soaps too. I like the looks of the gelled soap especially since I use only goat milk. Many who use goat milk do not like gel, but I embrace it! I also feel the soap is a little firmer faster and has a better texture. I think curing time is a bit sooner also. Just my 2cents worth though. LOl

"To gel or not to gel, that is the question!" :laugh2:

Paul....

So, I guess you're "gellin' like a felon"... :laugh2: I need to stop watching t.v. LOL