Another Wicking question....

After trying a couple of waxes, I have decided that I like 4627 the best. I have read posts on how to wick this, and see that some of you really like the zink wicks. The supplier I go to suggests the HTP wicks..... does anyone have any experience with this combo?

I know it seems perfectly sensible to ask this question, but all you'll find out is that some people like them and some people don't. Same goes for zinc. Every approach has its advocates and taking a poll isn't always the best way to get an answer.

Even if people tell you why they (dis)like one or the other, that doesn't mean you'll have the same experience. Results depend on factors in addition to the wax and wick, plus you might have a personal preference for how you want the candles to work.

Nothing beats making your own decision based on testing. You'll learn so much more if you buy some zincs and HTPs and try them. ECO might be good to try also. All of these wicks can work.

Top, yea, I thought it was a sensible question,(in my unsensible brain) but I totally see your point. This wicking thing is confusing! I do have some eco's at home, but haven't tried them. I have some zincs, but they seem to be smoking unless I cut them into tiny little nubs, so I will try the eco's and as far as the HTP's I was thinking of trying 52's and 73's. (thanks for the offer kandlekrazy!)

Maybe one day I'll get it figured out!~ :)

I have some zincs, but they seem to be smoking unless I cut them into tiny little nubs

That seems unusual. I suppose they could be too large, but more likely there's too much fragrance. This wax won't necessarily sweat if it's overloaded with FO but it will smoke.

If you're used to C-3 wax you need to cut back on the FO considerably with this blend. It throws way better than soy.

Top you have peaked a curiosity mode in my mind lol I remember trying C-3 when I first started but I have tried just about every wax out there since.

If the C-3 throws really well and I want to continue with a 70/30 blend, would the C-3 be a good combination with the 4627 paraffin? I really like the 4627 as gooey and messy as it is lol

I will do a search too because I have never thought about this combination until now.

If the C-3 throws really well and I want to continue with a 70/30 blend, would the C-3 be a good combination with the 4627 paraffin? I really like the 4627 as gooey and messy as it is lol

What I meant to say is 4627 throws much better than C-3, so less FO is required. I believe C-3 is what she was using previously.

As far as mixing is concerned, I haven't tried that combination specifically but I think it would probably work better with soy as the smaller part of the ratio. You don't have control of all the ingredients when you mix preblended waxes like this. With a larger proportion of soy it will act a little weird like shrinking away from the glass and stuff.

(yep, I was using C-3) I hated it. I LOVED the fact that it was in chips, but oh well.

I am using 10% FO for the 4627 because I was told that was the max that it would hold. (my mind says more=better :rolleyes2 ) The scent throw is amazing, but this smoking has to go! SOO, would it be better to just try different wicks, or cut down the % of FO nomatter what wicks I'm using?

More isn't always better and I have found that out the hard way :laugh2: Try cutting back your FO a little and see if that cuts down the smoking. The candles I have tested that ended up with some soot around the top of the glass did better the second time around just by cutting back on the FO.

If you still have smoking after you cut back THEN you can try different wicks. Or you can do it vice versa, yank out that wick, stick another one down in the candle and see if you still have smoking.

Isn't testing just sooooo much fun :lipsrseal lol

Okay, that will be my first step tonight, until I get my new wicks in, and then I'll try that too if needed. Who knew there were so many crazy things that contributed to a good candle!! Before I started this I would have thought it was a cinch!!!

Try starting at 6% and go up or down from there as required. Every FO is different. You need to check out the throw and the burn for each one.

The manufacturer says this wax may hold up to 10 or 12 percent, but not many FOs will work well at that level and it will generally be a waste.