I'm in the grip of lotion...

Brenda

Madness! *faint* Tried another recipe today - no butters in this one, just macadamia oil and honey. The recipe I tried was Bandicoots' Olive Oil and Honey Lotion (The Dish). It was much easier measuring out these simpler ingredients! I tried this one because I'm waiting on some other ingredients from Lotioncrafters, but I had everything I needed for this one. Here it is:

Vanilla_Bean_macadamia_lotion.jpg

It's scented Vanilla Bean. This recipe (my results-perhaps I made a mistake?) was a little acidic so I had to adjust the pH a bit, but the texture is great. I'm trying Optiphen preservative in this batch - it' paraben and formaldehyde free.

Snowdrift has a cool kit you can order. Chek-It "Lab in a Box" enables you to test your lotions at home for the presence of bacteria, mold, and yeast! I think it's a fantastic tool for someone like myself who has no idea where to get lotions tested and who is just beginning with lotion. I've had my shea cream incubating and it's negative. I just smeared some of this lotion onto another little unit and now have to incubate it for 24 hours! Any positive result requires investigation. I think it's a cool idea. (I am in no way affiliated with Snowdrift.)

I sure can see the appeal of creating your own lotions and creams! It really is another addiction. Sorry for writing a "book". :embarasse

Thanks for looking!

Okay first things first...........did you say formaldehyde? What the hell is that stuff doing in our B&B products in the first place! Man, I'm really out of it, if I didn't know that it was being used in B&B products! Is it supposed to be used as a preservative!? -- Your lotion looks wonderful, and I think that test kit is a wonderful idea!!

Looks beautiful.

I tried lotion/butter a few times and it grew the nasties and seperated even w/ the perservatives :cry2:. So I gave up. I try to stay away from anything that has water in it as I'm always afraid of the NASTIES growing in it-lol.

Thank you for your comments everyone! :smiley2:

Fellow B&B crafters who are willing to share recipes are fabulous. There is so much information to absorb!

I do worry about safely selling lotions and creams, that's why I've been selling a lotion base that is commercially formulated and preserved. I'll feel lucky if I can create a product that is stable, safe, and beneficial for the user. If I can, I'll sell it....If not I'll still make it for myself and family.

The lotion addiction IS like the soaping addiction... It starts with "I wonder what the result would be if I....." and then you're totally obsessed! :laugh2:

So that's what OOH Lotion is supposed to look like! Mine failed miserably (separated out almost instantly). Did you use the ACV or the citric acid?

I think that using Snowdrift's lab kit is a good idea. Are you still going to have your lotions, etc. tested at an established facility? This is the way I'm going to do it myself. The lab kit and ph strips are on my "immediate needs" list.

BTW, lotion looks fantastic!:yay:

Are you still going to have your lotions, etc. tested at an established facility? This is the way I'm going to do it myself. The lab kit and ph strips are on my "immediate needs" list.

Mine too but I cannot go with those results and feel completely comfy so I've got to take it a step further. I hope you have better luck with your next batch:wink2:

Fellow B&B crafters who are willing to share recipes are fabulous. There is so much information to absorb.

OMG just wait until all the possible formulas start swirling around in your head and you can't sleep until you've made one of them! :embarasse uh that might just be the way my adiction works. It was the same as making soap. I would toss and turn until I would finally jump out the bed and go soap an idea...:laugh2: :laugh2:

Did you use the ACV or the citric acid?

I used the citric acid solution. I don't like the smell of vinegar of any sort! And I stick blended it good over an ice water bath until it got good and thick.

I will have the lotions tested at a facility if there is one relatively close. If not I've got the site that firegirl posted to fall back on. :smiley2:

....yes, Hibiscus, I am doomed to sleepless nights and lotion daydreams! You were right!