Your opinion on the best soy

Ok, I just started trying scented Soy. So far, I'm pretty disappointed. I used EcoSoya CB Advanced with a fragrance from Wholesale Supply Plus. The cold throw compared to paraffin was great. I couldn't tell the difference. But, once I lit them both, the Soy gave off absolutely no throw at all.

I then tried the EcoSoy PB for a votive with Midnight Rose FO from Save on Scents. Same deal there, cold throw was great, hot throw was non-existent.

I'm looking for honest opinions and insight. Has anyone had these problems with EcoSoya? Is Golden Brands better? Is there another that works?

I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

My preference for soy is GB415. I found the 415 not long after I started pouring soy and have stuck with it. But for every person who loves the GB415 you are going to find 5 people who hate it. Same goes for any soy wax.

To find FO's that throw in any soy you have to test, test and then test some more because all FO's are not created equal when it comes to finnicky soy. Also, purchasing FO's from suppliers who already test in soy is a really good place to start. It's not always fool proof...I have tested a few here and there that suppliers swear by and I still couldn't get a throw...but for the most part their FO's are a safe bet. Can save you money and gray hair!

Patience is key to making a great soy candle!

Good luck!!

An opinion on wax is very subjective and you will get so many different responses - what one likes, the next may not. All waxes have their pros and cons and you will need to test to figure out what they are and how to work with each particular wax. Find a supplier nearest you to save on shipping and see if you can work through that suppliers' wax's quirks. But don't be surprised if you have to test several different types of waxes to find what you like. It is part of the process and part of the fun. Also, there are numerous threads that are on this subject so if you do a search you will find some very interesting reading. Good luck, have fun and remember, while it may be frustrating, it is possible to tame this soy beast.

I struggled too. I've tried the Golden Brands and Ecosoya waxes and got no hot throw whatsoever. It's only after reading this board that I decided to stop making the candles per the manufacturer's instructions and add the fragrance oil at a much higher temperature (about 185 right after I take pot off the heat). After a thorough mixing and pouring at 135 or so, I'm getting much better cold and hot throw. Hope this helps.

I got a great HT with Ecosoya ACB with 99% of the fo's I use. The reasons I don't use it is shipping prices. I agree with Meredith, you are going to get mixed responses here as everyone has their favorite and they are not all the same favorite. I chose wax based on location and worked through the few problems. Every wax that I tried had a few fo's that would not throw hot or cold...and not the same fo's!! HTH

I agree, we all have chosen waxes because of their performance, or their cost with shipping.

I've tested many soys over the last 6 years,, however I pour only Enchanted Lites, both container and votive soywax. I have found this wax to be the most consistant and continaully performs well. I use a blend of 1 ounce of beeswax per pound of EL. I love the tiny little pellets which make it really easy for measuring. I have received many compliments through the years from both my retail customers and my wholesale stores.

One thing I'd suggest is to make sure that you are adding your Fragrance oils when your wax is about the 175 - 185 degree mark. Many FO's do not blossom as they should when added to lower temperature waxes. I know there are some wax manufacturer's who say to add FO's at lower temps, however, I've found a high temp to work much better.

I like NatureWax C3 for container candles.

I agree that one has to sometimes make choices based upon cost - ie. how much it costs to ship the wax to you. I think one is best served by sticking with one brand of wax that has a good reputation and learning how to get the desired results with that wax. It will take some testing to get your ingredients just right, but once you have done so, you are in a better position to see what is working for you and what isn't. For example, if you are trying a new FO and your candle does not come out as expected, assuming that you did everything the same and have been able to get consistant results, you might decide that that particular FO just doesn't work for you. It might work perfectly for another person with a different wax or formula.

Work on one issue at a time. Don't try to correct scent throw, frosting, sooting, mushrooming wicks, smooth tops and wet spots all at once - they are separate issues! Work on one thing at a time until you get that issue resolved, then go on to the next one. Many times there is nothing basically wrong with the ingredients, rather it's the melting & pouring techniques that are at fault. Keep good notes and be sure you are following the same procedures each time when you are testing (except for the one thing you are working on), otherwise your test results will be skewed. HTH