Why Wick dippers?

At leat I think that's what they are called. While shopping around this weekend I came upon a lady who made her own candles. So as I am sneakily smelling and comparing her candles to mine (hey, I couldn't help it) I overheard her telling a customer that the reason a candle doesn't smell all they way down to the bottom of the jar is because you blow the candle out instead of using a wick dipper. She told her that when you blow a candle out, you are cooking all of that stinky smoke smell back into the candle, so that the next time you burn it, that's what you smell. I have never heard this before, and wondered if she was just "blowing smoke" up this customers skirt. ???? Is this true, and I just don't know?

A wick dipper puts your candle out smokeless because you use the dipper to extinguish the flame in the melt pool which even if you use a snuffer you will still have smoke from putting the candle out. It does not do what she said but it does give you a few minutes extra scent throw when the flame is put out only because your scent is not competing with that smell from the wick being snuffed or blown out.

Yes Vicky , that's exactly the thing I was talking about. What you said makes much more sense. So the reason a candle wouldn't smell all the way to the bottom has nothing to do with how you put the candle out, right? if it doesn't smell all the way down does it mean that you didn't mix it good enough?

There are several reasons why a candle will not smell to the bottom mixing is just one, having to large of wick will also cause the FO to be used up to fast, the jar it self can be the cause.

But honestly I think the main problem is the customer has got so use to the scent that they just don't smell that scent any more just like we get candle nose so can they. I recommend to my customer never to burn the same candle 2 days in a row. I also tell them if they insist on burning the same candle every day till it gone to pick a different unrelated scent for the next candle.

Yes, it does sound like blowing out the candle has little to do with how it will throw when the container gets low. I have the wick dippers and give them to my preferred customers.

Dipping eliminates the smelly smoke and afterglow when a mushroom forms at the end of the wick. (Some of my ladies will try to burn them all day long.) It also coats the wick with wax; keeps some types of wicks from getting brittle and breaking when they're trimmed. Some customers even say they find it a little easier to relight the wick!

I've been blowing all my life (no pun intended) and a well made candle always threw great - top to bottom.

HTH

So with this wick dipper, you are dipping the wick? That doesn't cause any smoke?

Dipping the wick in the wax cools it off so there's no smoke. The soot you see when you blow out a candle is the fuel that was feeding the flame. Touch a match to the smoke immediately after blowing out the candle and it will relight.

So with this wick dipper, you are dipping the wick? That doesn't cause any smoke?

Yes, you are dunking the wick, flame and all, into the melted wax pool. The flame snuffs out immediately with no smoking.

Afterwards, you grab the wick back out of the melted wax pool and straighten in back out with the crook of the wick dipper. That way it's all ready to go next time you light the candle.