Dealing with 10lbs of cocoa butter

ok, I thought dealing with a gallon pail of melted coconut oil was a pain to deal with, but a 10lb slab of cocoa butter is a real pain! I only needed 4oz for 1 recipe and 8oz for another, so I just chipped pieces out without taking the whole thing out of the box or the plastic wrapping it came in. The good news is, I now have the softest hands in Tucson. The bad news is I have a very slippery floor. :laugh2:

How do the rest of you deal with this?

Nan

Well, I thought with temps being well over 100 here in Tucson, and no way I can keep the house cooler then 80 degrees (which is why the coconut oil is melted) that the cocoa butter would be softened. It's not, though! I probably should take the whole thing out and chop it into reasonable pieces and store in smaller pieces of tupperware.

Nan

Well! The first thing you do is box that up and mail it to your wonderful friend (me!) in El Paso! :laugh2:

Hmmm....I'd toss it into the freezer....and when it's good and frozen, drop that bad boy from shoulder height and break it into small pieces. Then store in a closed container.

I'm fairly certain you can freeze butters with no funky effects.....

Donna

My cocoa butter has always come in usable chunks, but I put my 10 lb slabs of beeswax in a large box, get a mallet and a big screwdriver (the type with a slot end) or a chisel, put on my goggles, and chop the whole thing up into smaller pieces. Only takes a few minutes, and then it goes into a plastic container.

Doris, that is exactly what I am going to do. I was going to just put it on my big cutting board, borrow some of hubby's tools, and hack away at it. Putting it in a big box first sounds like a good idea ... a little less messy.

No concrete floor in the house to slam it on, and I don't think it's a good idea to take it out in 108 degrees to slam on the sidewalk. I just envision a big glob of melted cocoa butter setting on my sidewalk. :grin2:

Nan

... and I don't think it's a good idea to take it out in 108 degrees to slam on the sidewalk. I just envision a big glob of melted cocoa butter setting on my sidewalk. :grin2:

Nan

And just imagine what the neighbours would say!

My cocoa butter has always come in usable chunks, but I put my 10 lb slabs of beeswax in a large box, get a mallet and a big screwdriver (the type with a slot end) or a chisel, put on my goggles, and chop the whole thing up into smaller pieces. Only takes a few minutes, and then it goes into a plastic container.

LOL! Thats how I usually break upmy 5 lb. cocoa butter, with my fiances tools.

A chisel and hammer work really well on the blocks. I order mine in 25 lbs slabs from Soapers Choice. I keep it in the box to start with, and scoop out the broken off pieces into a big 3.5 gallon bucket. Then when I need it, they're in pretty easy to use chunks. This is a great project to do while watching TV, or a movie you know by heart.

TIP: Lay an old sheet under you on the floor. If you're like me, you'll still have tiny (or sometimes larger ones) pieces go flying. The sheet will save your carpet.