Wedding Gift help

Hello. I have been on this site before...posted many candles. But i have been out of the loop for about 6 months or more. My father is getting remarried in September and i have decided that i want to make a candle gift basket for him and his new wife. I know i want to do pillars, maybe some votives and a jar or two. The problem i am having is how to get started and what i should do to make everything flow. I don't know how much help you all are willing to provide, but any would be nice. I have not made candles in such a long time, i am having trouble getting motivated because i do not know where to begin or how i should make the candles. (i have never put together a gift basket before) I have done quite a few different styles on the pillars, so i know most the techniques. I just want something nice that they both will love. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Julie

I would also think about their house and how it is decorated. What will your Dad's wife like colorwise and scentwise - does she like bakery, fruit, floral, etc. Is their home decorated with dark colors, neutrals, pastels, etc . . . That might give you a starting place once you know what kind of candles to make. You could include some tart and votives as the small items and maybe a few wickless candles with a warmer and a few pillars. It really is up to you and what you feel comfortable making.

Thank you for the tutorials. I will be using 1343 for the pillars. I don't necessarily want the least hassle. I would like to get a little creative and unique if i can.

As for the house and how it is decorated...i was only in it once, and don't remember too much. I do know she likes candles, don't know what kinds of scents though. I don't think i will be able to find out, because i do not want my dad to know i am doing this. If i start asking questions about what she likes and stuff, he will know what i am doing. (i have made several candles for him in the past and he knows that i make them for gifts)

Thank you both for your help.

Darn on the old board I had a Gift Basket Tutorial up ..might have to do that again.

If you don't know how they are decorated..I would suggest a mix of foods, florals and herbal..so they have a choice...I always pick my candles by scent not color..I don't care if they match or not as long as I like the scent.

OR make them neutral colors..tans, white, etc..that will blend with what they have. ;)

also what about putting some tarts and an electric warmer in there...and a wick dipper.

I recently made my niece for her bridal shower a candle gift basket and called it "Honeymoon at Home - Margaritaville". I made a coconut tropical drink candle, several flip flop floating candles, votives in all sorts of tropical scents placed in clear votive cups that had tropical decals. I also put in two real margarita glasses, tequila, strawberry mix, a squeeze lime, made a Jimmy Buffet cd, a salt shaker with "lost shaker of salt" decal. I put all these in a very large oblong basket lined with a pineapple towel and added some neutral straw base (didn't want to have to deal with sand). It was a huge hit, and I had such fun making it. Most supplies I found at the dollar store. I received a call in February, about what a wonderful "2nd honeymoon" they had at home!!

I recently made my niece for her bridal shower a candle gift basket and called it "Honeymoon at Home - Margaritaville". I made a coconut tropical drink candle, several flip flop floating candles, votives in all sorts of tropical scents placed in clear votive cups that had tropical decals. I also put in two real margarita glasses, tequila, strawberry mix, a squeeze lime, made a Jimmy Buffet cd, a salt shaker with "lost shaker of salt" decal. I put all these in a very large oblong basket lined with a pineapple towel and added some neutral straw base (didn't want to have to deal with sand). It was a huge hit, and I had such fun making it. Most supplies I found at the dollar store. I received a call in February, about what a wonderful "2nd honeymoon" they had at home!!

That sounds awesome Darla. I love tropical scents and Jimmy Buffet .

Julie, you might also just think about what you know of her and decide. Think about what perfume she wears (you could probably ask your dad without him figuring it out) or what cologne your father wears. Im sure those are two scents she likes.

:P:P:P