Craft show virgin..any advice?

Alright guys, after all of this time making and testing...making and testing...reading the posts and testing...Im doing my first REAL craft show next weekend! I have my product, my table coverings (sheets and pretty runner) and I have my business cards with my ebay site...I know there are tons of posts on this subject, but just thought I would throw it out again and say...

Any last min. suggestions on what to do and what not to do? What to for sure take?

Im just now starting to get nervous...and am in need of a hug and feedback..lol

dont forget to take plenty of food water and pricelists and pens!! I've also found that people are put off if they have to ask a price so try to make sure your products are all clearly priced!!

Just remember to be yourself and be happy and relaxed the more you enjoy it the easier it is to be relaxed :grin2: GOOD LUCK:grin2:

Shopping bags, tissue wrap, receipt book, money to make change (I typically take $50-$60), mints (your mouth can get dry with all of that talking), water, food, pens, tape, a sharpie, and most importantly--a good attitude. I also take hand wipes & paper towels. I have a rolling bin (2 plastic drawers) that I take with me to keep my supplies in, and it fits nicely under my table and everything is in one place, each & every show. If you have a wagon, or a dolly, or something to help carry your product into the show, it's very helpful.

Good luck! It's exciting and terrifying all at the same time!

Positive attitude is the most important, you must believe in your product, and know why yours is better than commercial products.

Knowing your oils and formulations is also a bonus. So you can say "my blah blah blah is wonderful for X type of skin, and does this and that and I don't use blah blah because blah blah". I have a speil for things like my lip balm (beeswax vs paraffin wax because of....flavor oil vs sweetener because of.....) etc etc.

Do you have samples that you can give out? I am doing this next time. I love samples myself. I give them out for online orders and have gotten repeat orders for the full size of the samples I gave out.

Having wholesale info, just in case. It's never happened to me, but I've read from women on here about getting wholesale clients from craft shows.

A notebook. To write down what you forgot, or ideas you have. I often get customers telling me about things/scents they like and dislike, I write them down and put all the ideas in a data base. If I see a trend then I jump on it.

Hand sanitizer. People are gross.

What not to do ... sit around and wait for people to come to you.

What to do, be friendly, alert and able to think on your feet (try not to prep so much you may only get an hour of sleep the night before the show lol!)

You're going to do fine. That checklist above is a good one to go by. My last advice is to not only check your list once or twice, but three or four times works too. We've often gone to shows forgetting much.

Be confident and if you feel it faltering a little, boost it up. Confidence will help sell your products to others.

And good luck!

Have fun, you will meet some real nice people. I have yet to meet a nasty vendor. ( Im sure there are some). Try and have your booth inviting. This is what I am attempting to do.Make sure most of your product is eye level. Nothing on the ground, so that it is easy to see.Like everyone else said. Know your product and be friendly, you will have a blast. Good Luck let us know how you do.

I actually wrote a check list I use for prepping for shows. I check off everything I packed for the show against my list. Its in my files now so all I have to do is print it out.

Can't tell you how many times I would have forgotten something (batteries, paper towels, cooler for drinks) if I hadn't checked thru the list. I also update it as needed.

Thanks so much! I will be like a mad woman finishing up last min soap this week. My set up wont be too elaborate, considering my cash flow right now...but I think it will look nice. I will most DEF take some pics and post them as soon as I finish. The booth rent was for a 10x10 and it was 45.00. The show is from 9-4 so Im hoping to have a huge turn out.

I do start second guessing my prices. I have been told to double my price for wholesale and triple for my own sells...but some of my products I think the triple price is too high. My hubby told me to stop second guessing, that people will buy them. Nothing is over 10 dollars...so I guess this first show will tell all!

Thanks again...you guys are wonderful

One thing to keep in mind when pricing is that its easy to go down, but not up without alienating people.

Also, coming from the person who bought 5.5 oz of body butter for 36 bucks that in hindsight was crap - people pay for high quality, handmade items.

Darn...for 36 bucks that body butter better do my dishes and make me dinner! Haha...Well, I agree with you. i think it would be easier to go down than to go up. So, Im going to try the old rule of 2xwholesale and 3xresell and see how my show goes. Thanks so much.

Have fun! And don't get discouraged if you see customers walk by without even looking :) It's not personal lol....

Use the time to check out the other vendors booths. Which ones seem to be crowded? Which ones catch *your* eye? You can learn a lot about presentation by checking everyone else out.

Good luck, and have fun!

I planned and prepared for months before and after booking my first festival. I found the tips from searches here and other websites to be very helpful, and saved my neck with the tips that I would have not thought about! Even though I attended many shows and observed beforehand, that sure didn't prepare me for the real thing. :confused:

All of this is compiled in www.craftshowebook.com for people like me who are new to doing shows and festivals. It has everything from applying to things to do after the show. It's 67 pages with a 3-pg checklist. I surely wish I had this a few months ago! For $29 I now have it all in one place and was also happy to find out it was written by a fellow CT member. :highfive: