Urrgh...

barncat

I ordered from a particular supplier, and the shipping was $10.05 for 5lbs of fragracne. I plugged it into my ups sysytem,and it came to $5.03 to ship it. I asked back whey so high. Oh we made an error...we'll credit you back $0.39. Woopdy doo. The rest was insurance and handling fee. Well, insurance in already covered, and $5 is a pretty steep handling charge. Isaid dont even bother. Just not been happy, there is 2 fragrances that I cant find a duplicate any where else, I really dont like dealing with them. Guess I'll be on the search for a new vendor.

I know, I dealt with a supplier that tacked on 12+ bucks in charges on top of the actual shipping cost. When I asked them about it they said it was admin and handling charges.

Bull.

I consider those *costs* part of doing business and they should be figured into the cost of the goods I am buying.

My customers are usually charged slightly under the shipping costs (it's hard to estimate here), period because I hate the idea of overcharging someone on shipping, it's expensive enough as it is.

Buck up, I just spent 22 bucks on shipping for 100 bucks worth of fragrances from a new supplier (I refuse to deal with that other company anymore) to Canada. It could be worse.

I don't paying handling fees. I want shipping cost only. It is the suppliers(not us) who sometimes will do it. I just placed a order for $19.00 and shipping was almost $12.00. State that is a distance from me but was what I wanted. I knew shipping was going to be higher. Of course no handling fees(hidden cost)

LynnS

I know how you feel. I finally found a wax supplier that's an hour away from me. They're charging an extra $40 on top of their $40 shipping charge. Insane, luckily I can just pick it up :grin2:. Hope you find a better supplier soon!

What? An EXTRA forty bucks? How in the world do they justify that?

One of the places I order from adds a "hidden" 2.50 handling fee to S&H. I wonder if you ordered from the same place.... It stinks when you pay 50.00 bucks for product, then pay 10.00 (1/5 of the price) for S&H.

But it's tough too... I was going to send a 7 pound package UPS a distance of about 3 hour drive, and they wanted 11.03 for shipping. So, unless business' get some kind of discount on shipping because they do it so frequently, it is tough and expensive! Needless to say I wasn't going to charge them 11.03 shipping, I sent it USPS instead.

I ship quite a bit of packages, at one point our shipper said were the largest shipper on his route. I just changed to a different shipper about 6 mos ago and they called last month offering me a larger incentive discount, becuase we are shipping more. It may cost you $10 to send a package, and only $6 for me, yet some others that ship truckloads, only $4 but charge you the "retail" rate and then they tack on all the additional charges. I dont mind the handling charge, but most have them if its under a certain $ amt, not on every order and its a set rate, not variable.

That whole $40 thing is CRAZY!4_11_10.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZNxmk121JJUS

I don't think there is anything I hate worse than a supplier who tacks extra charges onto already ridiculous shipping. If I suspect a box was overcharged, I head right to UPS/FedEX to find out for sure and that supplier loses my business if at all possible. When I give them the benefit of the doubt and use the high retail rate (knowing that many of them have accounts) and they STILL charge me an extra $2, $3, $5, $30+ onto shipping, they are out. And to top it off, a certain supplier who I question their ethics over the past few months, overcharged for UPS by at least a couple of dollars AND used a wrong-side out Priority box to ship in. Sadly, things like this are becoming more widespread across suppliers. :mad:

The majority of suppliers do tack on to shipping costs, its free money for them. Also ANY handling charge is BS! You guys really don't know how much some of these people are ripping you off. Anyone that has a UPS or FedEx account can tell you that if you ship enough you get a discount on top of published rate!

It makes me furious when I see what some of these suppliers are getting away with. The only thing you can do is call them on it. Let them know that they overcharged and you want it credited back.

There still are some honest ones out there, no matter what they say there packaging cost SHOULD be figured in the cost of there product. It is the obnoxious ones that try to profit on shopping cart shipping rates that piss me off.

:mad:

I personally have found, through UPS, the further the supplier, the better the shipping rates. I have a few supplier in state and their shipping is out of this world! Luckily I only buy two scents from the one! Unfortuantly, the scents are very popular.:rolleyes2

Fire

What? An EXTRA forty bucks? How in the world do they justify that?
I personally have found, through UPS, the further the supplier, the better the shipping rates. I have a few supplier in state and their shipping is out of this world! Luckily I only buy two scents from the one! Unfortuantly, the scents are very popular.:rolleyes2

Fire

I just found this company, because stupid me didn't research a closer wax supplier until a year later :rolleyes2 I haven't spoken with them yet, and I'll be picking it up anyway, but I needed some wax and couldn't get out there till next week. I wanted to order two cases, so I put them in the cart, and in checkout I see that shipping is $83! So I deleted everything and put in just one case and checked the shipping, that one was $20. So technically if I order 2 cases it should be about $40 right? So where the hell does $83 come from? It boggles me anyway, because for a case of wax from Wisco I pay $15, so how is an hour away $83 or even $20 for that matter? Fire's right, even shipping a case from PA to me is cheaper! It's just wrong.

So where the hell does $83 come from? It's just wrong.

Some carts aren't *smart* enough to know that it is two boxes of wax and figures the total amount of both boxes into one box. So then you get the additional shipping of an 'overweight' and 'oversized' box. Most good suppliers worth their salt will correct that shipping...but not all.

Some suppliers make a killing on shipping. WSP stands out. Too many boxes, boxes that are overly large, too many peanuts equal outrageous shipping charges. It's a shame too, WSP has some great stuff.

This may be taking it too far but I wanted to mention another trick I caught on to a few months ago.

FedEx/Ups bills you monthly, carriers will check the weight of the packages at some point during transit and will charge the shipper accordingly. So it works both ways. If the weight on the label is over then your shipper account will get credited... if it is under the shipper will be charged the difference.

I checked the weight of one of my packages just because the weight seemed off to me and low and behold I was overcharged shipping for FULL 2 pounds. I was beside myself! Everything was in the box and it was not tampered with so it didn’t lose weight on the journey.

Just another sneaky trick that suppliers can pad there cost and you can't argue it because it is on the label!

Yes, that sounds exactly like what happened when I used ***. I used to order from them quite a bit and never found their shipping to be outrageous to me, contrary to what everyone else experienced. Then I guess they reviewed their shipping polices and prices and quickly made up for lost time.

I was stunned to see shipping charges for one order I placed, so I looked it up on UPS and discovered they charged me about double over what it should have been. I called the company and was less than thrilled with the owner's response. Say what you want about your shipping matrix and this and that, but the bottom line is you're making money off of your shipping. Everyone knows that the everyday consumer can look up shipping rates. Companies doing volume business with any carrier get lower rates than what are published. That nice little "refund" of less than $1 I was offered did nothing but leave a foul taste in my mouth for that company, which I have not ordered from since.

• 5 weeks later...

I ship often through my husbands company (I work pt for his company) as well as through my b&b biz to customers.

I have to say this, through his ups account, ONLY if you are shipping to a commercial address, is the shipping cheap. If it gets shipped to a residential, shipping is almost doubled. And his company gets a 20% discount to commercial addresses only, not residential.

With my ups account, I ship about 20 packages a day, but the prices are crazy at times.

I don't think we can have it both ways, either the supplies be cheap and shipping high or shipping low and supplies high. It's not fair to make the supplier eat up the extra charges bc we're being cheap. You just can't have it both ways. With gas prices going up as they are, shipping is bound to be high regardless.

But if I'm going to pay $10.00 for a $50.00 order and I am across the U.S. from them, I don't complain. That's just what it is. That or I look for a supplier closer. I have learned over the years taht I research all of my outlets. If it's expensive, I really don't need it that bad.

You can't just plug info into fedex or ups and think that is what they are paying. That's just a guesstimate. I know for our shipping account, we are billed monthly and there are times when the charges are higher than what was quoted when it was shipped.

On the other hand, there are suppliers out there that charge ridiculous amounts and I have no pity for them. I know they are marking their shipping way up for no reason and they have some high prices too.

They do not get my business.

If you are sick of the drama with a company that makes an oil you need, send the oil to Alpha and have it copied.

Since some of these suppliers started raising there prices through the roof I have had some duped and you can't tell the difference at all. Scent throw hot and cold is the same if not better, and I am spending LESS THAN HALF of what I was paying!

They offer a 5 pound min and they will send you samples for free until they get it right.

Too much competition out there for these suppliers to charge outragous admin & handling fee. You just have to call them on it and let them know that you don't need them as much as they think you do.:mad:

Wax.. you are screwed. Unless you can do 20 thousand pounds a year you just have to find a place you can pick it up or never have less that 10 cases shipped to you at a time. I always did 10 - 20 cases and had it shipped to my business address. Pallets are cheaper, you can do a pallet of wax from NC to NY for $100.00 and for about $20.00 more to a residence.