Anyone use Freewebs?

ohkellygirl

I FINALLY got my website up and running as of 9-14 through Freewebs.com. I paid for the Premium mebership for 1 year as well. Ever since Wednesday morning, I have not been able to access Freewebs or my site www.scentsbydiane.net Dh has been IMing support personnel to help fix my problem and its going no where. They told Dh that "99.99 of our customers can access their sites." Well guess what...I STILL CAN'T! I would like to know how I can go about transferring my site somewhere else...and where do you recommend? I have a craft show next weekend and I NEED MY SITE! I'm so frustrated...I can't even tell you all:angry2:

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Diane

it is up now. When choosing a web host you should make sure they have multiple carriers with redundant lines. I know it is probably greek to most but it is important. As someone mentioned the level3/cogent. Level3 owns the lines and shares with cogent with level3 being the premium bandwith provider and cogent being the economy. But this is not redundant as they are both on the same network. So a host that has level3 / verio is a multiple carrier so if level 3 goes down or even get congested the network itself will switch to verio if it is faster. I have had customers come from freewebs but I will tell you when I started out and went to school for this that is what we used because for inexpensive type hosting hey are one of the best. Mny businesses start out using them and then as the online part of the business grows they move on to a more robust host with more features and such. I hope I didnt confuse you to much.

Since it's been since Wed, I think you've gotten caught in the Level 3/Cogent battle.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-5891156.html

If so, not much you can do besides move to something that doesn't have anything to do with those 2 internet routing companies.

Yes, this is it exactly. My DSL company was of no help yesterday when I called them. Thankfully, I just tried to log on and I was able to :D Once things settle down around here, I'm going to spend some time looking for another hosting place...if that's what its called! Thank you for the article Robin!

diane

I was able to access it just fine. I like your site. I did notice a typo though. Hand Poured Candles Bath Products & Freshners should be Fresheners

OMGosh, I don't know how I missed that! Thanks for letting me know...I just fixed it in both spots :)

Diane

it is up now. When choosing a web host you should make sure they have multiple carriers with redundant lines. I know it is probably greek to most but it is important. As someone mentioned the level3/cogent. Level3 owns the lines and shares with cogent with level3 being the premium bandwith provider and cogent being the economy. But this is not redundant as they are both on the same network. So a host that has level3 / verio is a multiple carrier so if level 3 goes down or even get congested the network itself will switch to verio if it is faster. I have had customers come from freewebs but I will tell you when I started out and went to school for this that is what we used because for inexpensive type hosting hey are one of the best. Mny businesses start out using them and then as the online part of the business grows they move on to a more robust host with more features and such. I hope I didnt confuse you to much.

Well, I was confused to begin with, lol! Thanks for the advice...I appreciate it!

Diane

Hi Diane!

Your site is very nice, you might want to nix the falling leaves and opt for a more seasonal opening image. Personally as a consumer, I find it annoying for a business to have a lot of floating or blinking graphics-- it is very distracting, especially on the main page.

Hi Diane!

Your site is very nice, you might want to nix the falling leaves and opt for a more seasonal opening image. Personally as a consumer, I find it annoying for a business to have a lot of floating or blinking graphics-- it is very distracting, especially on the main page.

Thank you for your sugguestion...my kids were the ones that wanted me to use them :) I appreciate advice from "adults" though, lol!

Diane

I usually dont like falling stuff as it is distracting but one way to appease most visitors and your kids would be to load that script right after the <BODY> tag so it will be behind the tables that include your text and not in front. If your tables have a wide enoough area or your page has margins try to make the table bg color white and you will see them around the edges of the page.

• 4 months later...