Lotion Candle INFO

Check out this site. It does not give measurements but it does give the ingredients. Might be helpful. I guess you can use the basic measurements. Soy makes it the wax warm, I suppose that would be the main ingredient. If I find something else, I keep you updated.

:yay:http://www.jetaimefragrances.com/Massage-Candles.htm

At the bottom of the page you will find this:

What makes Massage Romantique™ special

Je T'aime Fragrances' is a leading manufacturer of premium quality massage candles and we produce one of the finest products on the market. Massage Romantique™ is made with an exclusive blend of the finest ingredients available, including:

• Cosmetic grade soy oil
  • Shea butter
  • Mango butter
  • Jojoba oil
  • Grapeseed oil
  • Vitamin E
  • Beeswax
  • 100% pure, skin-safe fragrance oil,
    -or-
    pure essential oil

Thanks for the info. I have tried massage candles and I love them. My insurance carrier won't insure us for them, but I might try to make some for myself and close friends/family that won't sue me!! It just takes some common sense and caution when you use these, but they are sooo much nicer than just massage oil and surprisingly absorb into the skin better.

I agree.

Thanks for the info. I have tried massage candles and I love them. My insurance carrier won't insure us for them, but I might try to make some for myself and close friends/family that won't sue me!! It just takes some common sense and caution when you use these, but they are sooo much nicer than just massage oil and surprisingly absorb into the skin better.

:yay: This may be of some help to those that are interested. Remember when we were kids and we at the wax candy, the wax teeth, and so on... Did people forget that? Check this out!!!

You already are eating "soy wax". It's flaked vegetable shortening, made mainly for the food industry. Check out the links!!!!

http://www.gfgb.com/candles/candles.htm

Candle manufacturers, wax blenders, and candle supply companies worldwide rely on

Golden Brands to help make the right decisions regarding their vegetable wax needs.

Coconut oil is similar to beeswax as an additive in candles except its cheaper. It can help with hot throw, slower burn time (it will harden the candle wax), less sooting, smoother candles, reduce wet spots and cut down cure time.

I have seen anywhere from 1/2 teaspoon (1/2 - 1 tsp for 100% soy) to 1 tablespoon (parasoy blends) per pound. Where is candleman? He uses 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil in his candles. He can provide more input about the uses of it. More than that can give a different smell. This is the 76 degree coconut that can be found at walmart (LouAna brand).

I have made a couple testers with my own 70/30 blend to see what I think of it, just haven't gotten around to burning them yet. I think I have like 12 testers waiting to be burned from various blends lol.

http://www.soapcrafters.com/recipes_bodybutters.htm

Massage Oil

Our massage oil combines soy, avocado, almond and apricot kernel oils. Soy and avocado glide over the skin while the almond and apricot kernel oils have nourishing properties.

http://www.pvsoap.com/recipe_edible_massage_oil.htm

Edible massage oil can be made with all-natural, vitamin fortified oils that will be completely absorbed by the skin, leaving it soft, supple and revitalized. Lightly scented with the natural aphrodisiac of chocolate-mint or the flavors of your choice.

You already are eating "soy wax". It's flaked vegetable shortening, made mainly for the food industry

instead of starting numerous threads on the same subject, just add it to ones already in existence.;)

the wax lips were made from food grade paraffin, not soy. they didn't use soybeans back then. in fact, i think they used/ use IGI wax

edible body butter and massage oils have been around a long time using vegetable oils, soybean oil is "newer"; but not so new now. it's also not soy wax being used....when it is hydrogenated longer, you get the wax flakes.

Interesting?

http://www.gfgb.com/candles/candles.htm

Candle manufacturers, wax blenders, and candle supply companies worldwide rely on

Golden Brands to help make the right decisions regarding their vegetable wax needs.

Benefits of Golden Wax

• All Natural Waxes are easier to work with than traditional paraffin slabs.
  • Golden Brands is first-rate in providing quality service and technical assistance.
  • Golden Wax is nontoxic.
  • Golden Wax is a completely natural and renewable resource.
  • Golden Wax helps support the American farmer.
  • Golden Wax is clean burning.
  • Golden Wax produces measurably less soot than other waxes, when burned correctly Golden Wax is virtually soot free.
  • Golden Wax works with standard candle making equipment that is readily available on the market today.
  • Golden Wax candle spills clean up much easier than other wax spills; simply use soap and hot water to get the wax out of carpets or upholstery.
  • More and more candle manufacturers are making the switch from paraffin slabs to vegetable wax flakes.

Uses for Golden Wax

• All Natural Candles
  • Lip Balms
  • Lotions
  • Soaps
  • Pharmaceuticals
  • Detergents and Detergency
  • Vegetable Oils as Bio-diesel
  • Vegetable Oils as Lubricants, Hydraulic Fluids and Inks
  • Vegetable Oils in the Production of Polymers and Plastics
  • Paints, Varnishes, and Related Products
  • Soy Proteins as Edible Films and Adhesives

Thanks so much! I was mildly interested in these threads, but, honestly, I am at saturation point. I can read other websites with an URL, thanks! I don't need them pasted here (which I believe is an infringement of their copyright).

I'm glad you are into this and hope that you discover how to make whatever your heart desires.:) Although I might find the subject interesting, product liability would cool my interest very quickly. You seem to be under the impression that the world operates according to maturity and common sense - it only takes a glance at The Stella Awards (no relation) to realize that what SHOULD make sense doesn't pan out in the courtroom. I don't think anyone wants to prevent you from making these, I think they are TRYING to protect you from grave potential liability. Sometimes, it doesn't pay to play with fire...

Just MHO

As a matter of fact I just recently have and you are asking because? I love candles and always have but the one that got me interested in making candles are the lotion candles. My reason for researching on how to make lotion candles is because whatever I set my mind to do it MUST be perfect.

I have a question for you have you ever perfected a candle not just made one but perfected a good quality candle?

The ingredients in that formula are good for the skin and looks ok, IF you want the insurance liability that could from it when a customer has a reaction or set themselves on fire. Companies have warning labels on hair dryers that state...do not use this in the shower...must have a reason for that :rolleyes2

The whole problem is...candlemakers that use the sale gimmick of using a scented candle for the home and passing it as a lotion candle...

It is the amount of fragrance (no matter if it is skin safe) for lotion is .05 -1%. Using a candle with a fragrance load from 6% to 10% fragrance IS NOT SKIN SAFE. Also, using candle dyes, UV inhibitor, Universal Soy Additive, etc. plus any droppings from a burning wick should not be used on the skin either. The skin is a sponge. Not listing ingredients used is another law broken too. Do I want this kind of liability andresponsiblility, heck no!! A responsible chandler should take the customer's health and well being as a primary consideration.

If this is the only way to sell inferior made candles..get out of the business and don't make it impossible to get insurance for the rest.

the reason is because if you are going to stick a wick in it and it's going to be burned by customers...you have to be sure you have the right wick, the right size wick and that it will still burn properly when you remove the very substance it is there to melt. take a candle. burn it for a while. now pour out some of the melted wax and what happens? the flame gets big because that compromised a good burn. are customers going to be that diligent to keep cutting the wick down? probably not.

plus you need to know that you are not using ingredients that are not suitable for bath and body applications.

quite honestly, i think that people selling these( at least the ones i see at craft shows, etc) leave customers with the misconception that they can take anyone's soy candle and apply it to their skin. the customer only hears the intriguing part" apply to skin" not the dangers of trying this with other candles on the market. candlemakers already have customers telling them they tried it with their candles because they "saw it done at a craft show". it basically leaves a bad taste in the mouth , which isn't fair to those candlemakers that try to promote candle safety.

I too agree that putting my finger into hot something or other is very dangerous and especially when there is an open flame! Ouch!!!!!! sorry I was interested but after doing a search and seeing the candles on these sites, (made in tins no less) I would rather just use regular massage oil out of a bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need my all 20 fingers!!!!!

I burn myself making candles and that is enough for me!!! :laugh2:

Please!!! I do not need a lawsuit over someone being ignorant and not following the directions!!! Believe it or not, I have had customers ask me stupid and weird questions, after they purchase my products. Luckily I talked them out of it!!!!!!!!

A little off subject-- but I am so tired of people coming into my show booth and opening up a candle, sticking their fingers in it and asking if they can use my soy candle as a lotion! Because they saw it done somewhere they think all soy candles can be used as lotion candles! Yikes! Then I have to explain to them what may or may not be safe about these candles or the products used to make them.

Just goes to show how being misinformed can go a long way and spread..

A little off subject-- but I am so tired of people coming into my show booth and opening up a candle, sticking their fingers in it and asking if they can use my soy candle as a lotion! Because they saw it done somewhere they think all soy candles can be used as lotion candles! Yikes! Then I have to explain to them what may or may not be safe about these candles or the products used to make them.

Just goes to show how being misinformed can go a long way and spread..

I have the same thing about my cusotmers wanting to open a bottle of lotion and stick their fingers in it to try it and I tell them after they purchase it they can do it!:laugh2:

I have customers who open my candles and rub their fingers all over the top of the candle! I had to put up a sign asking not to do that!!!!

I haven't had any to do that thinking it is a lotion candle!!! .............yet!!!!

Well, first of all I would not sell someone something that I would not use myself. I have very sensitive skin and I have not broken out yet. Everyone has this idea that they will burn the skin but due to lack of knowledge (not even experiencing them just judging them) and ignorance to the product I guess the only thing people can say are negative things. Of all the things to complain about, it is time to move on, everyone is entitled to have their own opinion. Everyone has the choice to do or not do, get out of the business -- NOT, I would be my best customer and so would a lot of my friends and family. This has become a debate and it sounds as if people are getting mad when all it started out as was a simple question. They are not just sold by at home candlemakers but they are on the internet and in some stores. Why does it have to be such a big deal to some small timers, I do not understand. To each its own. :yay:

The ingredients in that formula are good for the skin and looks ok, IF you want the insurance liability that could from it when a customer has a reaction or set themselves on fire. Companies have warning labels on hair dryers that state...do not use this in the shower...must have a reason for that :rolleyes2

The whole problem is...candlemakers that use the sale gimmick of using a scented candle for the home and passing it as a lotion candle...

It is the amount of fragrance (no matter if it is skin safe) for lotion is .05 -1%. Using a candle with a fragrance load from 6% to 10% fragrance IS NOT SKIN SAFE. Also, using candle dyes, UV inhibitor, Universal Soy Additive, etc. plus any droppings from a burning wick should not be used on the skin either. The skin is a sponge. Not listing ingredients used is another law broken too. Do I want this kind of liability andresponsiblility, heck no!! A responsible chandler should take the customer's health and well being as a primary consideration.

If this is the only way to sell inferior made candles..get out of the business and don't make it impossible to get insurance for the rest.

On the lotion candles you are only suppose to burn them for five minutes and then pour on your skin. Umm how many people are going to head to that rule. The fo load in them are so strong its going to cause rashes to some people. Why do i know this because i know someone who makes them, if you make them you better have great insurance . Some kid sees mommy burning a candle and pouring on herself and guess what the kid tries it . The ones ive seen are so strong they give me a headache, candle are for burning if people want soft skin they buy lotion. Ive been making candle for a couple years now and im still perfecting mine. You cant just make lotion candles throw them out there, because one person is going to have some kind of allergic reaction and die. I wont take that chance.

Well, first of all I would not sell someone something that I would not use myself. I have very sensitive skin and I have not broken out yet. Everyone has this idea that they will burn the skin but due to lack of knowledge (not even experiencing them just judging them) and ignorance to the product I guess the only thing people can say are negative things. Of all the things to complain about, it is time to move on, everyone is entitled to have their own opinion. Everyone has the choice to do or not do, get out of the business -- NOT, I would be my best customer and so would a lot of my friends and family. This has become a debate and it sounds as if people are getting mad when all it started out as was a simple question. They are not just sold by at home candlemakers but they are on the internet and in some stores. Why does it have to be such a big deal to some small timers, I do not understand. To each its own. :yay:

It is not the burning of the skin pouring the wax on it that is the problem here, IT IS using a 6 to 9% fragrance load soy candle with the additives that is the problem. Lotion is .5 to 1% fragrance load per pound and telling customers that a soy candle with that fragrance load can be used as a lotion, that is not taking the health of the customer first, just selling a candle.

The recipe that was posted has a lot of skin loving qualities and should be scented in the range of a lotion not for a candle to scent rooms with. FDA requires listing of all ingredients that go on the skin and most chandlers that are pushing their soy candles as a lotion are NOT doing this.

The other danger to the chandler is the general public. You take the chance showing people to dip their fingers in a candle that is lit or one that is just extinguished and children that see the parent do this think they can too. A small child will not know the difference and when the accident happens that they are burned or worse, I hope you are prepared for the consequences for this.

The whole problem is not making a lotion that can be melted and rubbed on the skin, IT IS passing soy candles off to use as a lotion that is the problem and a danger to public health and to the chandler. Example, cigarettes were touted as being good for you when they first came out to relax and calm a person, and now look at what they have found out.

it's a big deal for reasons already explained. and not everyone here on the board is a "small timer."

going as far as to say a child will see an adult do it then try it.. is not going overboard .it happens, and if you have children, then you already know they will try what we do.

This has been a topic for a few years and absolutely NOT for me. Hey it is hard enough to get insurance for candles so why use it as a lotion. Now for my rant: This also has caused some stink with me and my husband. For the years I have done candles I have had about 5 people come and talk about or ask "ARE these candles good for lotion". Well My big mouth husband (we have talked about this before but nothing ever sinks in with him) says Oh yes and then I have to give my 2 cents and they just look at me and walk away. Like I don't hear you and forget you. So for about the 5th time last week-end me and my husband had another blunt talk and I told him like it was. As always he said I agree but next time he will do it again. He just wont listen. He does help me in other ways with shows but never understands this. Bull headed. Same I feel when others "use it as a ploy to sell". I really don't need those people to buy who MIGHT use it as a lotion. Finally my last point to my husband was "Do you understand that not ALL scents are skin safe and if they buy one of our candles with Apple Pie, Red Hot Cinnamon or any other fragrance that is not skin safe we could have a lawsuit". "Their skin could burn or cause a rash or even maybe scar". I do speak up against it but husband makes me look bad. I don't want to cause a raucus at the show but we sure have a talk when we get home. If the only way people think they can sell their candles is to say "use as a lotion" then I hope they continue but the sad part someone might be marred for life. Not to mention the candlemakeer will be out of business and a lawsuit pending. I don't understand why this doesn't sink in. I see this on sites (not often but do) and I sure wouldn't buy from that candlemaker if I was a customer. I have better sense and it is up to us candlemkers to pass that sense on to these people. In fact this is giving me a idea. Post on my site that we do not reccommend or promote that our candles be used as a lotion. This could cause harm to you, our customer and some fragrances are not skin safe. All my paragraphs run together. Hope to find out how to fix it. LynnS