Made an orb, now what?

Hiya folks,

I've made two orbs today. Used what I'd put together for 'canes. Normal paraffin with micro hard added.

I know you can put pressed flowers on the outside, and overdip. Can't find anywhere, at what temp you overdip them and whether you just overdip once? I made the orbs at between 150-160 degrees.

I'm off to buy some pressed flowers tomorrow. I picked some of my own and sandwiched them between two massive books and put a heavy box on top lol, I'm sure its not that easy but hey!?

So........ what else can you do/make with orbs? Going to try carving one, (got my dads wood carving chisels), then theres the cut out face for a pumpkin or ghost for halloween.

Anything else?

thanks x

Hi Anjie,

yep was a balloon.

Although I need a bigger pot to be able to make bigger ones, the diameter wasn't very big on my pan.

satinducky, thanks for that.

We only have 'paraffin' in the UK. I made this with microwax hard added, as I did for hurricane shells.

Should I dip in just our normal paraffin? its approx 135mp.

I can't seem to find the exact procedure anywhere for adding the flowers, so what I'm going to try is......

melt some microwax soft and use it as glue, paint the back of the flower with that with a kids paintbrush cos thats all I've got lol. Then add it to the orb. When I've done them all, I was going to press them on slightly with a hot knife.

Then overdip.

Can anyone see anything glaringly wrong with that?

melt some microwax soft and use it as glue' date=' paint the back of the flower with that with a kids paintbrush cos thats all I've got lol. Then add it to the orb. When I've done them all, I was going to press them on slightly with a hot knife.

Then overdip.

Can anyone see anything glaringly wrong with that?[/quote']

Thats basically what I do. Except that after sticking the flower on, I paint some plain parrafin overtop of the flower too, so that when you press with the hot knife, it displaces any air trapped in/under the flower.

When over dipping make sure your orb is warm. They will crack if you dip them cold. I use a heat lamp and set them under it untill they get warm. Also decoupage on my orbs. Make sure they are really dry before you over dip them. I also advertise my orbs at craft show as vases (they will hold water) candy dishes, what ever else you can think of. Once I stared I was addicted to them. I am going to purchase Donitas tortial on electric orbs. I cant wait untill I try them.

thanks Donita, pm'd you back :)

I've attached the flowers, hard work, by the time I'd got them from the pot to the orb, it was virtually dry, so decided to paint them whilst on my hand to save time, HOT HOT HOT!! but needs must ;)

Then I did one in skeleton leaves, they were tricky as they wouldn't bend around the orb shape.

So then, I painted with paraffin. Then.........

I heated my spatula, and press carefully from the flower and leave outwards towards the orb and took the knife slightly over just to help adhere it to the orb. OK so far?

As I'm doing this, each time I put the knife to the leave/flower, I'd wipe the liquid wax off the spatula, but........ it still kept running off the leave/flower and down the orb.

Not sure how I can stop this?

Now for overdipping. I think I messed up in removing the balloon already, I've nothing to hold the orb with whilst its overdipped.

Any ideas/tweaks to the above,

thanks

Well I've done the over dip. Not impressed with that :( seems to have left a ripple around the middle. My own fault, because I'd taken the balloon out, I put another one in to hold it, but not filled it with water, so as I dipped it, it wasn't weighted enough to take it under the wax.

Not the best, but a decent-ish start I think.

I definately need to get other pots though, can't make bigger ones till I do.

Will post piccies later, as want to wait until its really dark to take a piccie of them lit.

How long should I test these for with a t-light, to know they will hold up? and should I put anything underneath the t-light?

When I first did my over dip I was so confused. Once you do this a few times you will get the knack. Put your whole hand down in it and push the orb under the wax. Be careful not to go to deep so the wax doesnt come pouring in. Then spread your fingers inside the orb your hand will know what to do once it is in there. Lift up slowly,untill it is out of the wax. I let it drip for a second then put it in cold water.Dry it off gently. I put a small piece of cork under my tealite. if you used the right wax you should be ok. Try burnig a tealite untill its done. Im sure it would be good to go then. Try applying some flowers with the decoupage. I found this alot easier. The only thing is you cant shape the leaves the why you want because you dont need to heat to apply. Good Luck