newbie has questions!

Hi!

My name is Nancy and I'm very new to tart making. I've enjoyed reading through the old posts and have learned a lot so far. I would like to try to use some silicone molds. Can someone tell me approximately how long it takes for the tarts to set up until they can be removed from the molds? I've seen some wonderful molds out there, but pouring only two tarts at a time will take forever unless they set up super fast!

Nancy

I've never made a tart in my life, but I've used silicone molds for candles. If the molds are like ice cube trays - the top of the mold/bottom of the candle or tart - is the widest part of the mold, then you can remove them as soon as they release from the mold, which could be while they are still a bit warm. However if you have to wrestle them out of the mold, you might want to wait till they are fully cooled, or else you will damage them.

I would say if you're just starting and you're just keeping the tarts for yourself and close family, Id say use some ice cube trays. You can buy a whole bunch and just pour. Also, if you want pretty ones keep your eyes open at the dollar stores, because you can find ice cube trays with shapes. I have heart shaped ones from Target that I use. I hope I helped and good luck. Put your next batch in the gallery so we can all see them.Becky

Thank you! I'll play around a bit more before I buy any expensive molds. I'll check the dollar stores. I had actually thought of those neat ice cube trays. I used to see them everywhere, but now that I want some I can't find any!!!

Nancy

Thank you! I'll play around a bit more before I buy any expensive molds. I'll check the dollar stores. I had actually thought of those neat ice cube trays. I used to see them everywhere, but now that I want some I can't find any!!!

Nancy

Isn't that always the way it happens.

Havent tried making tarts yet and just wondered if you have to do anything different to them that u would normally do for embeds going into pillars. I use straight parrafin and stearin. Would i do the same blend as normal and just add as much FO as you can or am i on the wrong track here??:confused:

I would start with simple melts such as little tart pans, silicone cupcake pans, metal cupcake pans or the clamshells, until you get your wax and fo where you want it. They have to be cooled before you can get them out. Once they are cooled they will usually just pop out of metal tins. Silicone.....sometimes I have to push them out from the bottom. Welcome!

I have to warn you making tarts is addicting and once you start it is so hard to stop. I started practicing with mini muffin tins and use 6228 needs no additives however now I add about 25 percent j50 for better scent throw it give me smooth tops and no more wrinkles as well. You will want to try so many different scents. I am always adding something new to my scent list.

Happy tart making!

Please excuse my ignorance! What is 6228 and should I be adding anything? (see, I told you I was new)! I'm using a 10 lb block of wax that is just called premium candle wax I got from Darice. They smell wonderful, but I've not test burned them yet as I am waiting for what is in my tart burner now to wear out so I don't waste it. I think I'm really going to like this! I bought some molds on ebay today 24 star molds (with 24 cavities each) for $2.99!!! What a deal!!!

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought some silicone molds from Hobby Lobby ranging from $1.27 to 4.00. Micheals has a few but they are a bit expensive. They have really cute ice cube trays in the shape of stars, hearts, sea shells, lemons, bears, etc . They problem i am having is cleaning the molds. Does anyone spray them with PAM or Silicone spray before use? How do you clean your molds? I have seen candle mold cleaner - wax remover at Hobby Lobby for $7.99, I am a little leary ; has anyone used it? I have just been using either a hair dryer when I am in a hurry or warm soap and water. Walmart has wonderful silicone baking molds also. I wonder if the hard plastic ice cube tray would work? Pouring the molds was taking a tole on my finger tips, so I bought one of the metal racks that is about 4" tall so I could slide my mold under my pesto pot when pouring. I am also having trouble getting a smooth top on the tarts. Any suggestions?

You can also get silicone ice cube trays from Ikea in several different shapes...I think they were $1.99 each tray and had from 6-12 cavities in each....they work great for tarts/melts...wax pops right out without using any release sprays.