Octogon votives

Those of you who make the octogon votives, how do you get the wick centered?? I use wick pins, but cannot keep the dang pin centered in the mold! :mad: I've tried leaving the air bubble under the base, as well as, releasing it to be replaced with wax. No matter what I try, when I let go of the pin, it drifts to the edge. I really like the octogon shape, but wont accept the wick off center. Any ideas?

I use my octagonal votive molds a lot with wick pins and haven't had this problem :(. I wish I could tell you something different -my wick pins stay in the center, and if I have one that is off center, I bend the wick pin. If you can't get your wick pins to stay centered, maybe you can just wick them directly in the molds?

DanaE

I haven't been entirely satisfied with any solution. There are ways to jury rig it, but for really professional results you use the bottom of the mold as the top of the candle, like a mini seamless pillar mold, and you drill a wick hole. The folks at CandleScience confirm that they're meant to be drilled.

As far as what you are trying to do, are you putting the pin into the mold after pouring the wax so that it's cold? Or maybe try waiting a little longer before putting it in. I did notice that drifting the one time I tried this approach but they do eventually stick because the wax starts to set up.

Someone on here does the octogon votives ( or use to) so you may get a good answer yet. Have you tried putting a little bit of sealer on the bottom of the wick pin to hold it in place?

Not to hijack the thread but Top, I put in an order at "Candle Science" and they couldn't have been nicer. GREAT customer service.

That's all I do, octagons. Sometimes they move, most of the time they don't. I don't get much driftage. I get them centered as best I can before I pour. Pour, then I adjust them if the top of the pin looks off center.

And basically, I just stopped worrying about how the base looked. Some of mine are crooked - some have the lip all peeled off - some have a partial lip. I've found that no one is really looking at the base of your $1.50 votive and say "ooo, look at that" They're going to pop it in a votive holder and burn it ;) But that's just my customer base - I can get away with that. And it packages up fine, it doesn't show.

Not to hijack the thread but Top, I put in an order at "Candle Science" and they couldn't have been nicer. GREAT customer service.
Not to cooperate with your hijack attempt, but you don't get any smarter or more professional than the people at CandleScience. I order from other suppliers who are very good and have made a great name for themselves, so it's not to put them down but if CandleScience carried everything I wanted I would order from them exclusively.

Ducky,

I use the pre-tabbed wicks that have larger base - they fit perfectly inside the octagons with no room to move.

Wow, I never seen a wick tab that big :undecided

Ahh, Robin... I was thinking it was you who did the octogons, but wasn't sure. It's not so much the base being off that bothers me, but that the wick in the top is off by the same amount. Maybe I'll bend the pin ;)

Top, if I gotta drill every votive, I wont be making them...LOL. However, letting it start cooling before putting the pin in is definately worth a try. It's usually hot still.

Thanks ya'll. Gives me a couple things to try :)