I just do not get this at all a rant of sorts

Ok so I happened across an ad on craigslist for a bath and body company. I of course checked it out as I like to see what other people are doing and what they carry. I was simply shocked. I mean I realize that nowadays especially people like to buy products that are as natural as possible. But when I read on this person's site about how they use no preservatives or anything and why I was simply stunned. I mean maybe there is something a lot of us do not know but I just thought it was scary and I tell you I would not buy anything from this person.

On the website this person states they use no preservatives, stabilizer's or filler's. According to them if a product is made correctly there is no need for them. The person states that stablilizer's are used in order to skip some other steps and that to use them means when making bath and body stuff that it means you are being lazy and it's unnecessary. It goes on to say that if everything is sterlie then you do not need preservatives. It goes on and on.

I was somewhat offended by the wording but then I was thinking. Yes you can make stuff without preservative but lady if you are doing it no matter how freaking sterile everything is you cannot be 100% sure especially once the product is in the consumer's hands. I think she is setting herself up big time. Her lotions are made with water.

I do not know it just seemed really silly to me. But if she gets sued cause someone gets a nasty infection or something becuase some germies got into the products well then maybe she will learn. But to me its not worth the risk. Of course maybe she has a super good insurance policy. I do not know. I know I am not lazy nor is anyone else on here that I have seen and I know plenty of us use preservatives.

Anyway I have had a rough couple of days so I might be more super sensitive than normal but I had to speak.:confused:

Im not an expert on this but I do use B&B products that do not contain any peservative...(Parabens, SLS ect...) or any other questionable chemicals. They are in fact certified organic and natural so yes it is possible to safely create these products without risk of contamination but I think I would leave that up to the companies that have a good track record and have been doing it for a while. Was she an independent or with a company?

As far as I know, it is possible to make perfectly safe lotions etc without preservatives. However, the products would have a very short shelf life, and would probably need refrigeration as well. They would not be good candidates for sale as there is no guarantee that they would be treated properly after sale.

Well I kind of figuered that I mean as far as the shelf life and I commend anyone that makes a product as natural as one can be.

I just found it kind of cruddy to basically call the big companies as well as anyone else who makes b&b with preservatives lazy.

Like I said call me a bit sensitive but it came across as a cheap shot at the competitors big and small.

Anyway was just kind of curious as to what other opinions were.

Thanks for the feedback.

As far as I know, it is possible to make perfectly safe lotions etc without preservatives. However, the products would have a very short shelf life, and would probably need refrigeration as well. They would not be good candidates for sale as there is no guarantee that they would be treated properly after sale.

The products I use have an 18 month shelf life and do not need any kind of refrigeration and i have never had a problem with any kind of mold, bacteria ect...as far as I know they use natural perservative found in nature and they seem to work...so who knows...:confused:

These are the ingredients in the Body Cream

Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Juice

Sunflower Oil

Purified Water

Organic Avacado Fruit Oil

Organic Shea Butter Oil

Non-GMO Lecithin

Organic Sugar Cane Ethanol

D-Panthenol

Natural Gum

Propriety Blend Of Essential Oils

Organic Olive Juice Extract

Amber Oil

That is all the ingredients and I have had a bottle for over a year no problems yet!

I DO NOT make any sort of B & B products but I have been researching it for several months now by starting at the very back of the B & B sections of these boards and read forward. I've been at it for over a month and I still have 80+ pages to read and take notes on.

The only thing I can say is this: HATS OFF TO ALL OF YOU WHO DO IT BECAUSE IT CAN BE SCAREY WITH ALL OF THE STUFF THAT MIGHT GO WRONG! And if you have no complaints YOU ARE CERTAINLY DOING SOMETHING VERY RIGHT!

It just boogles my mind when I read about the things you have to go through to make your products safe and wonderful for the public. You all are to be commended for what you do!!!! I'm not so sure I can be that brave.

Hats off you ladies and gentlemen who do!:wink2:

Fire

I just found it kind of cruddy to basically call the big companies as well as anyone else who makes b&b with preservatives lazy.

Like I said call me a bit sensitive but it came across as a cheap shot at the competitors big and small.

I find that bashing is pretty common these days, whether it is fast food, politicians, or whatever. Pretty depressing.

Even though products can be made without preservatives, I would not be comfortable selling my products without them. Even if you have products around for long periods of time and you don't see any nasties, doesn't mean that they aren't there.