WOW!!! Check out these buring wicks

These name brand candles have very tall flames and large mushrooms, and barely even burned. This just shows you this name brand candle is pourley made.

My candles burn much better than that. I will use this to show my customers how expensive candle burn, like crap. This and other pour quality is why I get new customers and keep them comming back for my QUALITY candles.

This is how I want my candles to burn,
NOT

Whoa! That's not your picture to post and something tells me that the owner would not appreciate your using it to slam him/her on another site.

If I had lit an inch of wick without trimming it properly, mine would look like that, too, and so would anyone else's!! I agree that their product photos are not an illustration of candle safety (more like what not to do), but what I see in that photo is insufficient to pass judgment on the quality of their products (although it does give me a raised eyebrow about their commitment to safety).

Just my 2¢...

Dayum those flames are huge - and the candles are just lit.

Wonder if the wicks are not trimmed properly to start off with. :confused:

I was just thinking the same thing...they look like they were just lit and they seem rather long...I wonder what type of wicks they are using? Gosh it is amazing how we all obsess over our candles but when I see the big name brands and how they burn I wonder if people even notice those things! :confused:

A few of them aren't centered either. However, remember most of the people they are selling to, wouldn't know a mushrooming wick from a mushroom. Most folks would look at that ad & think how lovely they are.

Fredron

Whoa! That's not your picture to post and something tells me that the owner would not appreciate your using it to slam him/her on another site.

If I had lit an inch of wick without trimming it properly, mine would look like that, too, and so would anyone else's!! I agree that their product photos are not an illustration of candle safety (more like what not to do), but what I see in that photo is insufficient to pass judgment on the quality of their products (although it does give me a raised eyebrow about their commitment to safety).

Just my 2¢...

I don't put down other candles, I just tell & show my customers about them and tell & show them my candles, and let them be the judge. I also have side by side comparisions of name brand candles & mine both in photos of them burning and on display after they are burned. That way my customers can see the difference & when they purchase mine, and burn them, they will know the difference. I just show proof, "proof is always in the pudding".

A few years back, I bought some bean pod candles. They were horrible. I had so much black soot that I used a roll of paper towels and a bottle of windex to clean my living room. They were so sticky and I had a very hard time getting them out of the votive cups. Now that I make soy I know that something was really wrong with them. I ended up selling them on Ebay and the woman was thrilled. She wanted to know how I got my hands on so many beanpod candles. Just hope she had lots of paper towels and windex. LOL

I was given one of these candles about a year ago as a gift. It burned nicely and completely after I trimmed the wick. It was hot chocolate scented and seemed to have a good hot scent throw. The wax actually looked like hot cocoa! I am by no means a candle expert, but what I think happened in those pictures is this: Whoever set up the photo sessions was not knowlegeable about burning candles. They just lit them as is and took the picture.

I agree with Stella, my candles or anyone else candles would like that if the wicks weren't trimmed. Many times the photographer is not the actual person that makes the candles. Especially with big companies, they have pros. to do the photography. However, I am sure they had to give a final ok for those photos. In that case they should have insisted on photos after their candles had a full melt pool with trimmed wicks.

Nothing wrong with being proud of our work but I think sometimes we can be a bit too critical of the competion. Yes, many of the major candle companies do have candles that are of poor quality but many are really a good product. I've purchased poorly made candles from the big guys and I've gotten some terrible ones that were not centered, tunneled, sink holes...that were handcrafted. It was certainly a poor choice of photo on the manufacture part.

Wouldn't you think Bean Pod would read their own warning labels. Yikes! That is scary.

That is my thought - I trim my wicks before selling my candles. Just to give the customer the idea of the appropriate length....but maybe that is just me.

That is my thought - I trim my wicks before selling my candles. Just to give the customer the idea of the appropriate length....but maybe that is just me.

Not just you sweetie, I plan on doing the same thing with mine once I start selling, but I do it now with my new testers so they can get an idea of just how tall the wick needs to be for a good burn.

Those votives scared me. I'm always whacking Erika in the back of the head and telling her to trim with flames a little smaller than that. YIKES!!

I too have noticed that many well known or mass manufactured candles are not always the best quality. I know before I started making candles, I did not know what made a quality candle. I just bought them if they smelled good and I think many in the general public are like I was. I have several family members/friends who love candles and I have shared my knowlege about what makes a quality candle.

I have a few big names in my collection that are not buring the way they should and some that are working excellent. I plan on melting the ones that are having troubles down and rewicking them.