pillar molds

What is the difference between metal molds and aluminum molds. Are they both seamless? peaks have some really great prices on pillare molds but I'm unsure which I will like. I want seamless and concaved. but what is the difference between metal and aluminum?

No.

In summary, aluminum are seamless and sturdier. They don't tend to rust as easily ... stain, yes, but not rust that easily. However the staining doesn't affect anything on my candles. It just won't come off.

Metal molds -- wider variety of shape than aluminum. Heats up pretty well, will leave seam that needs trimming. Can cut fingers on the side and too much heat will spring leaks at the seams. Needs mold release all the time.

Aluminum molds -- limited sizes, shapes of molds. Tends to be easier to make rustics in. Doesn't need mold release ... (I've only applied it the first time and never again.)

I've never had any of my aluminum molds stain and mostly prefer them since they don't rust. The metal are usually tin which can rust and does have seams, but there are many more shapes and they make a nice shiny finish. I use the aluminum for standard shapes, but have the metal for all the others.

Not to be critical, but Aluminum IS metal. The plated steel molds are very thin, and the edges are sharp. In addition, there is the seam, which shows up in the finished product.

The aluminum molds are thicker, and not as likely to slice a finger when cleaning them.

I have used both, and IMO the aluminum is the only way to fly. I've never stained one, so I'm not familiar with any issues related to staining, but buy the aluminum, you won't be disappointed.

Fredron

It depends on what you want to do.

As the others said if you want some particular shape you can use only tin molds.

I don't have to use mold release everytime, I just greased mine the first time and that's it. If you use FO there's no need to grease those everytime... or I'm lucky.

Just a bit of care because they are very thin and can be deformed easily, but it's your choice. I use aluminum for round and squares, and tin for other shapes.

with the staining that the aluminum causes on the mold, will it affect white candles? will you be able to see any discoloration onto the white?

No it doesn't. Somehow soap got into two of them and left a stain. I did have one that was heavily colored stain the sides and it took a little bit to get it out (ended up using baby wipes on that one), but for the most part they won't stain.