Straight Paraffin for Containers

I noticed a supplier selling a straight paraffin (130 MP) for use in containers. I thought you had to use a container blend for paraffin containers? They do mention to perhaps use vybar or UA, but does this mean that ANY straight paraffin with a low enough MP can be used for containers?

I have heard of some companies using plain paraffin for candles and using their own additives. There is actually a company here in Nebraska that their candles have to be from straight paraffin and additives (don't ask me how I come to that conclusion) but they throw like crazy or at least they did 8 years ago when I tried them.

Hi Henry.....I am not a container expert but you can use a low mp wax for containers. The additives just make it burn better, hold fo, look different, etc. Depends on what you are going for. I use vybar 260 in containers....try some plain wax and then start playing with additives. Good luck. Hope some experts come to your aid. Donita

Henry I think you've tried IGI 1288B and/or Candlewic 2530H. Those are plain paraffin blends without additives. Many other fully refined paraffins in that MP range would give comparable results. Scale waxes (slightly less refined and more oily) can also be used straight.

Problem is, these waxes don't hold enough fragrance for many people. You can fix that with additives and get hard container and votive blends like IGI 4786 and 4794. No mottling of course.

The soft container waxes are another option. They offer advantages such as low shrinkage and high fragrance loads. Those are just a different animal, made with special blends of petroleum products (including plain low-MP paraffin) to achieve their particular properties.

Thank you all for your responses!

I was just confused because I assumed, I guess wrongly, that all container blends contained some petrolatum? And here you could actually do it, if you wanted to that is, with just a low MP straight paraffin and other additives. Thats where I was confused.

Last summer I played with the plain paraffin. The wax was in the 130-135 range. Without additives, total yuck. Craters from hell. Very inconsistent, wet spots, about 3% scent was all it would hold. Vybar 260 helped with the fragrance, now I could up it to 6%. Still craters from hell. I bought some petrolatum-I was determined to beat this. So, petrolatum made the paraffin much softer, alot like the soft container wax, actually had a very good hot throw. But petrolatum is finicky. You really have to test, test and test some more trying to figure out the percentage of petrolatum to use to make the wax softer but not so much to make the wax smoke and have black soot from hell. Still craters, not so bad as before, but still a 2nd pour for sure. I never could get a "pretty" candle, you know, the creamy beautiful colors kind of candle. Actually what I did find with this plain paraffin-1 teaspoon per lb of vybar 260 added the paraffin, and a 50/50 blend of this and 415 soy was very satisfactory. I just never could get past the pouring @ 100-110 range. Too impatient I guess. So I gave in and let it win. Too much hassle for me. I don't have time to babysit the tempermental blend, I need to pour and go on. Comfort blend and 444 is my friend now. Oh, and my turk -n- surf. But that's a different subject ;)

I use plain old par. and add my own additives and have done it for yrs now and have not ever had a problem my customers and stores are very happy with what my candles are like. You have to explore and test. I tried useing a one pour and was not happy with the burn time, my par. in my opion last longer than most, its harder and pulls away from the jars and I get very little wet spots.

Just my opion DeeDee-ohio

I use plain old par. and add my own additives and have done it for yrs now and have not ever had a problem my customers and stores are very happy with what my candles are like. You have to explore and test. I tried useing a one pour and was not happy with the burn time, my par. in my opion last longer than most, its harder and pulls away from the jars and I get very little wet spots.

Just my opion DeeDee-ohio

I think it's exciting to work with straight paraffin and find your own recipe! I'm glad you found yours.