Does anyone glue on their labels?

After using hang tags for so long I wanna make my own labels but wanna know if you can glue them on to glass?

Card stock is what i was using for hang tags..actually I thought about using a brown paper bag, cutting or tearing my own and gluing them on myself?

Any ideas? Am going out tonight to look at Office Depot to look..I really like the kraft label idea..just would like to find a way to do this myself..so much cheaper and I'm really artistic.

Thanks for any ideas..I guess i can try it out..see if it works..

Honestly, I think it will depend where you live. I would imagine if I tried doing that, the glue would show up on the labels due to the humidity. However, try a few and see what happens.

Better yet, why don't you buy full sheet labels from www.labelsbythesheet.com and print your own labels on your own printer. I had hang tags and they were a mess when I had to transport my items to shows. Then, I went with labels (the perfect size); however, my pritner kept acting up, so I ended up wsting a lot of labels. Finally, I just bought full sheets and jsut cut them down to the size I need. I would highly suggest that route.

That's what I do too, Tiffany. I mostly use clear labels and just buy the whole sheets. I print labels with a good-sized border (and generous spacing in between) and cut them out carefully myself. It's just too hard to get everything lined up right with the precut labels, with my limited ability.

At one time, I did try printing on plain paper and gluing the labels on. I had pretty good luck with certain glue sticks, but sometimes when the jar heated up, the edges would turn loose, and I never knew when it was going to happen. So I gave up on that and started using the full sheet labels. Of course if I made thousands of candles, I wouldn't have time for that; in that case, I'd probably have them professionally printed.

Way back when we first started we printed ours on cardstock. We then glued them on with "craft goop" glue. Held them in place with rubberbands around the label and jar till they were set. It was a PITA! We now use full sheet and use one of those paper cutters (the old fashioned kind with the big arm) Works so much better! Altho our labels we did with the cardstock looked very nice.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I just wanted to try to use what I had at home..but the humidity would be a problem. I'll probably just order some kraft ones and print them myself.

I do like the garbage bag ideas though..the look...who knows what i may come up with. I did see some parchment paper at ODepot tonight that I liked..but really want labels..my hang tags were cute though..ohh the decisons!

and to deehovey..

so sorry..actually thought maybe you were being silly with the milk part, but I also thought you were being serious to cuz you said try these..and I also thought maybe you were being funny about how all that could drip cuz the heat from the candle...so I didn't know how to take it.

I have wallpaper paste and did think that was a good idea.

Sometimes ya don't know how to take something and I've stepped on toes plenty not meaning to!!

:rolleyes2

I am off to bed..get my order tomorrow..first one in a couple of years and am ready to get back in the swing of things!!

Thanks to everyone:) and good night

3M and Elmers have spray adhesives. You'd just cut your labels out of whatever stock you like (you can even get fancy with the scissors or paper cutter). Lay the labels on a sheet of newpaper, and spray the backs. Then stick them to whatever you like. You can even do bands for pillars this way. Hope that helps.

OK..it's late and I just caught on to the CLEAR labels? How are you using those? And where did you get them? So you use the cardstock and put the clear labels over them to hold them on?

I like that idea to if I don't have to order and can get them at a store..lol.

I really need to go to bed..have had candles on the brain lately..lol.

I actually got those ideas from a home-made wine bottling website. They of course don't have to deal with heat, but I thought it might be a good starting point. I didn't take offense, and some of those suggestions do sound kinda funny, but I think they might be a very simple solution to your problem. I understand the idea of having something in your head that you want to try, and even though people tell you there are easier ways to do it you still want to try the idea in you head. I like the idea of kind of a rough edged paper sack label, so I see where you are coming from and don't know that you could get that look with pre-cut labels. You might be able to hand tear craft label sheets and get the rough look you are going for, if you do decide that pasting on your own is not the way to go.

I've never tried this on a candle or on glass, but I used to use "UHU office pen" glue stick from Office Depot on my whipped shea and sugar scrub jars before making a final decision on labels. It dries super fast and sticks when wet and doesn't wrinkle the paper! It's great glue for all kinds of stuff.

Hi Dee (remember me from the kitten episode?)! :yay:

I get my clear labels from Labels by the Sheet. I don't put them over anything, though; they are stand-alone labels. When I was cutting my labels from plain paper, I bought a roll of the clear plastic with the peel-off backing from WalMart (in the shelf paper section) and just covered my printed sheet with that before cutting the labels apart. That gave them a nice gloss, as well as protecting them from moisture.

I had forgotten about the 3M spray adhesive; I did try that. I should have done as Alan suggested, though, and cut the labels apart and then sprayed. I tried spraying the whole sheet, then cutting, and the scissors got all gummed up.:rolleyes2 Plus, when I did that, it was sort of awkward because I had to take a sheet of newspaper outside and lay the labels on that and spray them. When I tried to do it inside, I got that adhesive on everything, no matter how careful I was. Outside, you had to be careful of any wind, so you didn't get dust stuck to them. Trust me, the full sheet labels are alot simpler:)

Elmers glue would be fine to glue on labels and the heat will not affect it. Plenty of people use it or decoupage glue to coat the inside of tin or clay pots so they will hold wax without leaking. I have glued on warning labels when I ran out. It will give the label a gloss and everywhere you put it on the glass will show. So be careful and have fun...