Starting again after 20 years

Hi folks...

I just signed up to this forum cause I'm gonna start making candles again after 20 years (and a former wife:D ) and I was awed by how it has changed.

Before, we had one kind of wax, 2 additatives, one to make it opaque and one to make it translucent, 10 or so block dyes, etc..... Now there are so many different kinds of wax! Etc.....

I understand the basics from before but I don't understand all the new stuff like these letter/number combinations for different kinds of wax and all the other stuff and what it means.

Where can I get this new information? Can someone point me in the right direction? Would appreciate any help.

One other question:

I was crusing the net looking at candlemaking supplies and found this one site that sold wax that did different things like mottling and starry-kind of stuff, really beautiful stuff! But I can't find the site now!:( Is there one or two places everyone gets their supplies? What am I looking for?

In short... Any information anyone can send my way would be most appreciated. I am going thru the forum now and reading-reading...!

Thank you all.

Soja

Welcome to the board :)

There probably as many suppliers as there are waxes, if not more. A main consideration is one that is close to you to save on shipping costs. The different numbers have no meaning as far as I know. I think of them like cars. Ford Taurus = IGI 4625... ie. IGI makes many different waxes. That comparison has no reflection on waxes or cars! LOL

It will mostly take a lot of reading and research. What different waxes do, what different additives in different amount do, etc... This board has most any information you need. Since it's been so long ago for you, check out the Links for Newbies thread and read all through there. You'll find a lot of basic information... as well as in the archives

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Just reading through old posts will provide valuable information. Searching can narrow it down some, but you'd be surprised how much info you'll pick up in posts that you think are of no interest to you ;)

Good Luck :)

Hi and Welcome back to candle making,,There are loads if information here and people here to help,,,Cant find an answer, just ask and one of us or ALL of us will chime in to help. Satin is right READ everything!!!!! I loved the F&Q for newbies and printed them out,,LOL,,,,:D

Welcome to the Boards and welcome back to candlemaking!!

You are gonna LOVE it here. Very friendly and helpful people and you'll learn tons just being a member of this forum.

I agree with Ducky and Breanna, read, read, read and then read some more. You'll find a ton of inspiration here and it will definitely keep you busy for a while and then some!

Welcome again!!

CK

Welcome Soja! Yup, candle making is a lot more complicated these days with the myriad of waxes, wicks and additives out there. Good luck with the new stuff - you'll have to let us know if all this new-fangled stuff works a lot better than the old-fashioned ingredients!

Let us know what type of candles you want to make and we can certainly tell you what kind of wax we are using. It really isnt all that complicated because the waxes are divided into usage for the most part. Conainers- Pillars- etc.

I think that most people are using waxes that already have the additives in them...the vib. and steric...but I could be wrong about that..I know I do.

For container candles I like a soft wax ( but NOT the IGIcomfort blend)

I had a pretty good candle with 1/2 J223 and 1/2 IGI 1945 when everything was available to me.

I dont make pillars so can't help you with that.

Welcome!

Michael

The Dallas Dean

Thanks a lot for the information, I have been reading-reading......

I want to make 3 kinds of candles. Pillar, container and freeform, you know, the one of a kind that are looked at more than burned.

Here are my first questions:

Which is better, Soy wax, 'regular' wax or Parrafin for my purposes?

The mottling and crackling is bomb! How do you get crackle? I've been reading about mottling wax but you people seem to add 'extra' stuff to get a really super look.

A side note... I think it's been more than 20 years!

I'll check back later. Thank you.

Soja

for mottling, you need a parrafin wax. some like IGI's 1343, 1274 or Mot38 (not sure who makes it). IGI 4625 is popular for getting smooth and creamy colors.

Containters....there's a lot to chose from! J223, J50 are pretty popular.

Soy wax is popular too, although more pricey and a little more difficult to figure out.

Palm waxes are pretty cool! haven't had the chance to buy some, but need to one of these days. check the gallery for pics.

You will probably want to get a slab of the different types until you find one you like. to find local supplies, you can do a search of the wax (easiest for me), like IGI 1343 and your state. Seems to work well for me, although no one is ever close enough to me to save shipping!

oh, and welcome to the board!

Welcome! Yes, the landscape sure has changed over the years. Some of these links won't mean much to you yet, but here's some links to the main wax manufacturers - at least you can start seeing what numbers go with what manufacturers. Many of these aren't available to us, but it's still interesting.

Biggest paraffin mfgs - you'll find lots of suppliers that carry these.

IGI http://igiwax.com/candle_waxes.shtml

Astorlite/Honeywell http://astorlite.com/npccg/ccg_wax_spectrum.html

I don't have any links to soy manufacturers, but you'll find a lot of suppliers that carry different soy waxes.