Olive Oil Candle Results

Did my first test burn last night and it was good. It slowed down the burn time ...2 hours barely put a dent in the candle. I'm going to burn for 4 hours this morning and see how that goes. The HT is nothing (as expected) unless you actually get on top of the candle and then a very slight olive oil smell. The top is very smooth and glossy. The wax also seems a little harder to me (don't understand how these oils harden the wax...but I"m no chemist!) I think it would be a great addition to those garden scents.

I used 1/2 oz of EVOO in 1/2# of C-3 wax (same ratio as the fo's I use) I poured into a 3" square container and wicked with an ECO12, which was a stupid choice because I'm just starting to test this wick and so far haven't been getting the MP I want and it drowns in some fo's. I think I'm going to try it again and use a LX wick just to see what it does.

.....and?

I'm chompin' at the bit here! Where are you in this experiment?

Please, don't leave me hanging!

Very interesting test, kudos to you for trying something new.

Why did you select extra virgin? What if you used a milder form of OO? Does it have to be EV?

Can't wait!

Thanks for sharing,

Fern-Marie

.....and?

I'm chompin' at the bit here! Where are you in this experiment?

Please, don't leave me hanging!

Very interesting test, kudos to you for trying something new.

Why did you select extra virgin? What if you used a milder form of OO? Does it have to be EV?

Can't wait!

Thanks for sharing,

Fern-Marie

Ok, I burned it probably 8 hours so far...since it doesn't have a scent, I don't have the incentive to burn it. I'm going to buy some rosemary fo to add to my next try. The candle is burning slower than without the olive oil (4 hours more like a 3 hour burn without) I used EVOO because that is what I had in the house...but I think any would work the same and I'm going to try the cheap stuff next time! Since my try one of the ladies posted "Accu Blend" as a company that makes coconut oil wax, and when I checked them out, they also have an olive oil blend!!) So my friends idea wasn't actually new to the industry. Sorry I can't give you too much more info at this time. I am going to make a line of olive oil for my friend to carry in her store.

The fact that there is a company out there actually selling olive oil blend wax, makes me think it will be ok. I only added 1/2 oz to a # with no fo, but I would probably cut it down even more, same as coconut oil...1/4 oz or maybe even just a teaspoon per # of wax. Then I can still add my fo at the same ratio. It obviously is going to take months before I find out if these "spoil" or ruin the fragrance over time....back to the test kitchen!

Ok, I burned it probably 8 hours so far...since it doesn't have a scent, I don't have the incentive to burn it. I'm going to buy some rosemary fo to add to my next try. The candle is burning slower than without the olive oil (4 hours more like a 3 hour burn without) I used EVOO because that is what I had in the house...but I think any would work the same and I'm going to try the cheap stuff next time! Since my try one of the ladies posted "Accu Blend" as a company that makes coconut oil wax, and when I checked them out, they also have an olive oil blend!!) So my friends idea wasn't actually new to the industry. Sorry I can't give you too much more info at this time. I am going to make a line of olive oil for my friend to carry in her store.

Don't forget to make some Tomato leaf ones.... That sounds like some really unique candles, good luck.

• 15 years later...
On 7/18/2022 at 4:54 AM, MsPeachesDelight said:

A little late to the party, heh!

has anyone tried adding jojoba to their candle wax blend? 

Sorry no, but I forgot I even tried the olive oil!  This is a really old post, lol.

What a fun project!  I love experimenting!

I also wonder if the olive oil will go rancid as it isn't saponified as it is in soap?  But if they sell fast enough it wouldn't be an issues.  All candles eventually go rancid anyways.  Some just take a lot longer.

And good point about the amount of oil that a candle can hold.  The more oil the more sooting as you already know. 

Can't wait to hear more about your project.  Would also love to see some pictures!