New to this all and need help :)

For the rustic style, I use 1343a, stearic (about 3tbs), FO and pour cool (around 150) into room temperature molds. A lot of it will be trial and error, so just be sure to write down what you did. If it came out the way you want, you can duplicate (or come close anyway!) and if it didn't, you can adjust your formula.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great like that style sheet but will need to redsign it so everyone can use it. I wonder is there an Open source GNU licence in candle making (sp and reference to Linux open source os and now beer making so was wondering if there is open source for candle making)

Great reciepe too thank you. I feel like a new baby and so intrique and excited and havent even melted any wax yet

Great reciepe too thank you. I feel like a new baby and so intrique and excited and havent even melted any wax yet

Speaking of melting wax...you might want to look at getting a presto pot ($20 at Walmart) that you can add a spigot if you choose. It melts wax so much faster than a double boiler. I have three! LOL

Got that already done think I got the diagram from here on the cover page

• presto 5 quart deep fryer (20 on sale at target)
  • brass fitings elbow joint straight and downward spicket
  • Drill
  • 3/8 (size was medium)
  • Indian paint
  • Dremel
  • dremel saw attachment
  • Plumbers tape the stuff used on water heater

I drilled mine through the bottom, then used the dremel saw to cut the excess off then buffed it out. Boiled water and made sure it came out clear and that was done sunday.

I have ordered the beginer kit for pilars from Peaks and some additional waxes

Thank you trish

Yes pilars allow for interesting interior designs

That is why I figure even if it costs me 20k to get the results I want I will learn one of the forgotten arts.

wow your allowance keeps growing if you need anyone to help you spend it let me know :)

good luck

I drilled mine through the bottom, then used the dremel saw to cut the excess off then buffed it out. Boiled water and made sure it came out clear and that was done sunday.

You drilled the hole through the bottom? Did it still heat up okay, no damage to the heating element?

You drilled the hole through the bottom? Did it still heat up okay, no damage to the heating element?

The cheapie fryer is like a griddle the element is on the outside. I will take pictures once I verify the heat. I know the water test worked great. I know running Crisco through it at a hot temp worked (tested at the highest setting 450 and it read 460 in the therm)

SO I have not tried wax but figured crisco would be close to the consistencey.

I then ran 3 rinses of hot water with soup and 3 hot without til water was clear

Well you will not get bored with this biz let me tell you..there are THOUSANDS of things I still want to try..and the list is still growing. lol.. you can spend 20k in a heartbeat.

Sounds like you are on your way..you need to get some wax in that pot and start messing..trust me I think all of us can say that the fist candles we made were not so great. :P

I dont think I will get bored but much like all computer geekz I am eliminating certain parts of chance.

I got 5 reciepes I like for pillars and ordered them from peak I got their small block on 6 waxes.

Colors I am getting are white/green (jets) green and black (marble)

Someone was telling me I can swirl with a small hand mixer to make swirls like stiring paint from another board is that true?

My first batch will have 3 scented ones and the rest more for looks no scent.

Almond

Lavender

White tea and ginger

I am going to try them with out doing them rustic first

My first batch will have 3 scented ones and the rest more for looks no scent.

Almond

Lavender

White tea and ginger

<homer simpson drool>white tea and ginger</homer simpson drool>

One of my favorites.

You must be excited; I would be if I were you. I started making pillars a few months ago and was so giddy I couldn't stand it. LOL, neither could my family. Good luck.

Stacy

This thread is getting so much attention.....do you see how excited we get when someone new wants to learn.....lot's of people won't let out their "trade secrets", but most of us here, the ones who are active, are willing to help. We all keep learning from eachother......Since joining this board, I have tried many new things and things that I had forgotten. This is so much fun. You will make friends. I am sorry that you didn't see the old board....everything you needed and then some was right on the front page. Alan is working on getting this site better and you will be amazed. I mean amazed. Everyone here is so talented. I made an experiment candle this week and it is the ugliest candle I have ever seen....well not THE ugliest, but pretty darn close. So don't feel bad if you have a "mistake"....usually, someone you know will be happy to get it as a gift and burn it at night so the ugly isn't so visable hee hee hee.....I am going to start a thread of posting our ugly candles. We usually don't do that, however some have...it is very funny. I do think that mine will win the contest.....I am going to the photo booth and snap a pic now......get ready.....here I go.......

I created a monster :)

Yes I am I made some pilars. Lavender, WHite tea and ginger and Ocean mist. Once set I will post my pictures. First 3 were failures but the second 3 burnt real nice and looked great.

Thank you for the archieve

Hi dr

I am a Newbie too...since December. When I got into this, I went whole hog crazy and have made literally hundreds of candles. I was a candle buying addict and had graduated to the " hard stuff".....meaning the top of the line BEST, like Diptyque, Trapp, Votivo, Red Flower, Tyler..and on and on...so I was spending ALOT of money.

Now, I have to disagree with SOME of what the others are saying to you. IF you are getting into this to start and perfect a candle business, well than maybe you are in for some huge dollars to test and perfect your product. I didnt read that into what you were saying ( I could be wrong ) If you are making these for just yourself OF COURSE you will be saving TONS of money!

I was delighted when I discovered what it actually cost to make an 8 oz tumber candle that I was paying 20 bucks for AND mine was better! ( yep, from the very beginning, thanks to the help of the suppliers )

I noticed that you live in Denver. One thing that I found to be very valuable was to personally go meet with the suppliers and get all the information they have available for their clients. Mine actually sit down with me and answered all my questions at the time and went over things step by step. Than, of course, you would come back and buy from Peaks :D

Hi

Yes I have not found a local dealer :( but have ordered from PEAK. They seem pretty willing to help with a noob like me.

Yes my candle maker was good but she started to slack and use inferior products I believe. Long story short she had decent prices but low quality now. I am figuring if I can make these perfect like I made them this morning every 4 or 5 being bad at the begining I netted 500.

SO as a business no, fund raiser for boyscouts and troops mosst defenetly

Someone was telling me I can swirl with a small hand mixer to make swirls like stirring paint from another board is that true?

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but ....probably not.

You can use a mixer to "whip" the wax, like to make crumb topping for desserts or whip cream kind of thing. But you don't normally want to whip air all through the candle. If you're wanting a marble look try this...

http://www.candletech.com/marbled/

And if I've completely misunderstood... just ignore me :D

Satin no it is close but not the same thing it looks like stirred paint.

You know like when you get an enamel and it is not stirred allthe way and you get that rich to thin color combo?

I tried the one on the cover though and it works I will be posting pics

Peak is IN Colorado...not sure how far from Denver, but you can't get much closer than that!

So you made some pillars? Let's see 'em!

So I was dumb because I mail ordered from them :(

but yes I have the colors siting to see if they get a little darker. My friend told me to let them sit before taking pictures but I am damn proud,