Bulk Oil Storage

Kimberly

I just wanted to share the way I store my oils for Soap and B&B. I use a mixture of different oils in my Salt Glow (HUGE seller for my Spa accounts) and I have one for my Olive Oil and Lye Solution.

This is just a Laundry Detergent Dispenser that has been cleaned and sanitized. I just keep these on the end of my work table and they are so handy!

Just thought I would share!

post-108-139458427884_thumb.jpg

That is ingenius, I throw those containers away but no more I will save them. Thanks for sharing, it's the little things in life that are invaluable. Thanks so much. It is a great idea for the lye storage as well. How long do you keep your lye in here, have you had any problems with the spouts deteriorating (sp) from the lye.

janis

I just wanted to share the way I store my oils for Soap and B&B. I use a mixture of different oils in my Salt Glow (HUGE seller for my Spa accounts) and I have one for my Olive Oil and Lye Solution.

This is just a Laundry Detergent Dispenser that has been cleaned and sanitized. I just keep these on the end of my work table and they are so handy!

Just thought I would share!

You will have to rinse them out really really well. I fill it up and shake it several times...then let it fill to the topp and keep running over until you dont see bubles. I have Sanitizing tablets...dont remember where I got them...but I use one of those to Sterilize it. If ya dont have those...try swirling with alcohol a couple times then go back to the rinsing a few times.

While it's not quite as cost effective, it would eliminate the doubts over cleaning them out... You can purchase these as water containers. I've seen them in quite a few different sizes. Some of them are definitely pricier than others, but it should work, and you wouldn't have to worry wondering if you got everything cleaned out.

I bought a couple of the containers that that are empty...they didnt work as well IMO. The plastic they are made of is much more ridgid than the Detergent ones...and I had 3 of them leak like crazy on me...so I chucked those. BTW those were $8-$12ea...and if ya buy the Purex or one of the off brands they are like $6-$9 and ya got the detergent to boot!

Thanks a lot guys. Now I have to find containers to empty my detergent into so I can use the bottle. :rolleyes2 I love this idea. Especially for my lye solution. One question though, is it better to mix the lye sol then put it in ,or do you just mix it in this container?

Being I haven't made soaps yet but getting there, still doing a bit of research. Can someone tell me what items can you premix and store like this?

When you say your oils do you mean your liquid oils? You premix them and store them in these? I am assuming not the solid oils melted down, correct?

Also lye water, can you premix this and store it for long periods of time?

Thanks all.

I pre-mix my whole recipe including my hard oils. I melt them down and stick blend everything together.

I use:

Shea

coconut

tallow

palm

olive

castor

Then pour into dispenser.

I then give it a really good shake before dispensing.

If anyone would like instructions, pm me and I can send them to you.

I pre-mix my whole recipe including my hard oils. I melt them down and stick blend everything together.

I use:

Shea

coconut

tallow

palm

olive

castor

Then pour into dispenser.

I then give it a really good shake before dispensing.

If anyone would like instructions, pm me and I can send them to you.

What a great ideal.. I don't make soap ofter and when I do it's 2 or 3 lb batches. But the thing I hate and keeps me from making more is measuring out all the oils. Since I have one recipe I really like this would be a great way to make soap more often. Maybe with the oils only I could mix and store in freezer till needed. Thanks for the info.

What is the lye solution that you guys are talking about? And if you mix that much solution then how do you know how much to measure out for your recipe? Tips would be great :)

thanks!!!

Angi

The Soap Box

I would like to know too.

Ok I guess it's the blonde coming out in me LOL!

I read the post and very informative but I do have a question. Your lye and oils don't have to match temperatures when doing this type of soaping?

I can mix up say a 6# batch of oils & butters ahead of time. Mix up 6# worth of lye and water for this batch. Place them in seperate containers to use at a later date. Then I can pour out say 2# of the mixed oils for a batch...does that mean I pour out 2# of the lye solution? And then all I need to do is mix, not worry about heating and matching temps?

It's not meshing in my head for some reason lol. Anyone with more brain power than me today please inform me :)

I am still stuck on simply glycerin soaps and I am gathering as much information before I delve into the real world of soaping!

Angi

The Soap Box

You pre-mix your oils, lets say you make a 9lb batch. Then you premix your lye. You'd mix enough for 3 batches. (Or more once you get the hang of it)

You have to make sure that you know what percentage you use for your lye solution. If you always use 33% then you know that you use 2oz of water for every oz of lye.

If your recipe calls for 3lb of oils, 6.5oz of lye and 13oz of water, then you take your master batch of lye and measure out 19.5oz of solution. That's 13+6.5=19.5. It's just pre-mixed. Then you add that room temp lye to your 3lbs of pre-mixed room temp oils. Stir, add FO, add color and pour into mold.

It really is as simple as people say it is. It just seems like it ought to be harder.