Black Candle Woes

The black half of my yin yang candles is driving me insane. I've melted it down about ten times now in disgust, but basically continue to have the same problem.

I clean the mold by placing it upside down in the oven at 200 degrees, pour at 175 or so. This one may have been hotter because I had problems with my mold sealer. I end up with this pitting and awfulness, and the white side has no problems.

This is Yaley's pillar wax, 1 1/2 pounds, 2 tablespoons Stearic Acid, 1/2 teaspoon liquid black dye.

I did give the top of this a shot with the heat gun, but it looked like it was just going to make things worse, so I stopped that pretty immediately.

yinyang.jpg

Any ideas?

Btw... my black 2x6 pillars don't do this, just this 5 1/2 inch-across mold.

Kelly

What's your pour temp? How fast are you pouring and any way to put towels around that side of the mold to maybe slow down the rate it's cooling?

The pin holes look like you may be pouring too fast and they stick into place when it cools too fast. You might just run a wooden skewer around after you pour and get rid of them.

Those white spottish looking things make me think the candle might be cooling too quickly also. Got any vybar 103? Maybe you could add some granules of this (8-15 or so) and that might help with your surfaces overall.

Maybe I've been making it worse then. The mold is so big that it takes forEVER to cool down. I thought I poured at 175, but the mold sealer failed, so I'm thinking it was hotter than that. I'll add the Vybar 103 and try again, and try pouring hotter. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to pre-heat the mold as well.

Thanks!

Well I don't warm my molds. I use a variety of dyes with no problem. I also don't advocate Yaleys ;) Good luck on solving the problem. I'd say do one thing at a time so you know what ends up working and are ready for it the next time.

Thanks Meredith... I may be giving up on this one.

GAH!! I remelted, added the Vybar, poured at 185 into a heated mold, and the poblem is a bit different but just as bad. Worse, it moved onto a pillar I decided to throw in so I could actually accomplish something for my day's work.

black_candles.jpg

I can agree with Scented, Yaley's is more for the candle hobbist that won't sell their candles, just makes them for themselves. Their wax isn't quality and if you attempt to introduce quality dyes, FO's or additives, it won't bring up the wax quality.

Were you trying to do a mottled black? Trying to cool down the wax slowly will give you a mottled look, those white spots in the middle of the candle. If you're trying to get rid of the pin holes and blemishes, my suggestion is pour at 190* and make the pour as fluid as you can, no stops and definitely don't make it a sloppy pour or you could end up with a rustic. Something else would be to tap the sides of the mold gently, don't whack it or you'll end up with more pin holes. Check around the edges of the wax against the mold WHILE you pour, if you've got tiny air bubbles, a few good but gentle taps will pop them. I've found for a smooth, sleek candle, tapping a bit as you pour sometimes helps with the pinholes.

Looks like you have mottling going on....????...Also, when I made yin yangs after they sat together for awhile....the black dye transferred to the white and turned one side into a kindish ugly green. Black has it's own personality. (smile) Donita

Oh Donita, I have no doubt! I'll definitely wrap the two halves seperately.

I definitely don't want a mottled look. And I really CAN do this. I'll remelt again.

I do do a lot of tapping, I don't know. Maybe something happened with this batch and I should start from scratch.

jet_black_candle.jpg

It finally worked! I poured at 190* and put the candle in a water bath to cool. I have to admit I added a black reddi-glo diamond to the mix, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. This was a pound and a half of wax.

With that many re-heats, I'd think that any extras in the black liquid die would have burned off. I made either 3 or 4 attempts with the same batch.

Thanks guys!

Kelly

I was about to post about my black candle woes also, i have the exact same problem as urbanfool, i have the yin/ yang mold from yaley and I'm at my wits end trying to make this candle come out right,:confused: i have the pin holes and the mottle look and all the blemishes,

I am about to try the suggestions on the board. I'll post the results later.

I tried to post a picture but its saying my file is too big to upload.

THANKS

Hi Kelly, I also have tried the ying yang and get the same problem, one half comes out great and the other is ...............PITA. I was wondering how your candles burn, I have tested and tested and I always seem to have a candle that burns for maybe 30mins then it goes out. I have tried ever type of wick, i have gone up and down a size. What size of wick do you suggest? I am starting to think that they are just a candle for decoration and not burning. Also levelling them is tricky:-)

I had to give up on them for a while and walk away, i was getting so frustrated. Now that I see someone else making them i think I think I might try again. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Mandy

You gotta know it's a lot when you add Vybar to a black candle and it stays black without more dye. I think we can summarize by saying the problems above were caused by various combinations of the following:

1 - Too much liquid dye (can cause mottling and surface flaws).

2 - Not enough Vybar (generally helpful for solid-colored candles).

3 - Too high a pouring temperature (large candle cooling too slowly).

Using a water bath is fine but it could be skipped if the formula and procedure were adjusted.

As far as the dye amount is concerned, I think somewhere in the ballpark of 10 to 20 drops per pound works, depending on the additives and the concentration of the dye. Probably 15 or more using Vybar.

The dye amount I use has been inched up through numerous tests. I went through the redi-glo chips before trying the liquid. I'll definitely be going the powder route next time.

This is the first time I didn't use Vybar at the beginning, because I was reading about additives and it seemed like the Vybar was used only to hold scent. Since the candle wasn't scented, I figured it was a waste --I'd just been using it out of habit.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. This is definitely a thread to put in my notebook.

Mandy, I haven't gotten as far as a burn test yet on these... so for you (starting at 4:10pm):

yinyangtest.jpg

I use the Yaley's medium-sized flat braid.

Kelly