Black Candle Woes

This is at just over 2 hours. The white one is creeping toward the edge and starting to warp, so it's definitely best to keep the halves pushed together... It'll start mixing here real quick. I lighted the black side about 5-10 minutes after the white.

(Obviously I didn't go out of my way to trim the candle carefully.)

hour2.jpg

Hi Kelly

Sorry it wasn't 30 mins burn test it was 3 hours, checked my notes. It seemed OK first few times it burnt but eventually, maybe half way, the wick gets drowned out. I am using the LX series of wick and im sure it does not go any smaller than LX8m is this correct, anyone, Either that or its all I can get here in Scotland, any suggestions on a alternative wick. I use the LX wicks pretty much most of the time.

keep up the good work and let us know how your burn test goes.

Mandy

Here's hour 3 for me... no sign of them going out, but it's definitely one candle now. I wouldn't want to try taking it off the candle holder.

(Edited: There's also a funny warty thing that popped up on the black side. It doesn't seem to be getting any bigger though.)

I don't know what an LX wick is unfortunately. I'd say you might be needing to wick up though, rather than down. Hopefully someone else will know.

hour3.jpg

(I swear I won't post a blow by blow of every candle I make :D)

Okay... Hour 4 (and last picture.) I've gone ahead and blown it out now and will resume testing tomorrow. It's definitely fugly!

I've seen them suggested as spell candles (for bringing things together) but honestly, it's too big and unweildy for that. It'd probably be best left as decoration. There's probably something that can be sprayed on it so the black doesn't transfer over.

hour4.jpg

The dye amount I use has been inched up through numerous tests. I went through the redi-glo chips before trying the liquid. I'll definitely be going the powder route next time.

The Yaley dye has probably made things worse for you. I haven't used them myself but I hear those liquids aren't very concentrated. I could recommend the excellent black liquid from French Color & Fragrance instead.

Black powder works well but it's the same dye without the solvent. That means you have to dissolve it yourself, which can be difficult to do thoroughly in wax. You also have to measure carefully with a good scale to make sure you don't use a wick-choking amount. It's prone to drift and often leaves spots on furniture and fixtures, not to mention it's a good idea to wear a dust mask.

FC&F liquid is sold by Candlechem as Jet Black. Various other suppliers sell it but the manufacturer isn't always clearly identified. It performs very well so generally I find it preferable over black powder.

Hi Kelly

Sorry it wasn't 30 mins burn test it was 3 hours, checked my notes. It seemed OK first few times it burnt but eventually, maybe half way, the wick gets drowned out. I am using the LX series of wick and im sure it does not go any smaller than LX8m is this correct, anyone, Either that or its all I can get here in Scotland, any suggestions on a alternative wick. I use the LX wicks pretty much most of the time.

keep up the good work and let us know how your burn test goes.

Mandy

That's correct.

Warty thing in the pix looks like an air bubble. I see that the black, before burn, is very polished and smoothe.

Almost would have said the other was mottling that Everito pointed out, but it isn't mottling or it's a different form of it, but when I get it on my candles it simply comes from cooling too fast.

Vybar helps with scent, but does much more too, such has helps with surface blemishes, which looks like you got them to go away.

FC&F liquid is sold by Candlechem as Jet Black. Various other suppliers sell it but the manufacturer isn't always clearly identified. It performs very well so generally I find it preferable over black powder.

Thank you! I'm really low on dyes altogether, so I'll head over in that direction. I wanted to wait to see what I was going to use the most of before I overstocked.

Thanks again!

Kelly