Pricing

I've definitely searched, both here, and on the Internet.

I'm not looking to join the craft candle crowd, but am aiming at the metaphysical crowd and I'm having problems with pricing --both wholesale and retail. For one, it doesn't seem that many people sell 2x6.5 candles which has turned into my main product.

Also, I have 6x3 (as opposed to 3x6) Yin Yang candles that I can't figure out how to price to save my soul. 3x6's go for $14.95 or so, but mine are double the wax --lo & behold, I can't find a single person selling them on the Internet.

Anyway, I'd like to take my candles down to the local metaphysical shop, and so I'm really wanting to intelligently figure out wholesale pricing and am failing miserably. If someone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great.

Kelly

Take all your ingredient costs; wax, wicks, fragrance, color, packaging, etc.; add it all up and then add a few cents for miscellaneous items (electricity, paper towels, etc.) then multiply it by 2. This would be your wholesale pricing. Or, you can take your retail pricing and divide by 2 to get your wholesale pricing. You can be more elaborate than this, but it is the simpliest way to figure out wholesale cost.

If you are looking to compare your pricing to other marketed candles, you may want to rethink that idea since you have no idea what their cost might be. Also, I would concentrate on what your area would be willing to pay for your candle items; both retail and wholesale. This could be a deal breaker, especially if you are priced to high. HTH

Thank you! Now I'm wondering if my Jewelry Designer software would figure out candle pricing for me. It just might --it's the same concept.

It just seems like everything is bought in bits and pieces, some high and some low. Like right now, I'm desperate for Stearix although I have a 10 lb bag on order, so my husband will be stopping at Michael's to see if they have any.

The reason I'm doing the price comparison is just to get a ballpark figure. Like jewelry making, sometimes you can't charge what it's REALLY worth considering your time, etc. But what the market will bear. For example, these Yin Yang candles are a real pain in the arse, and I don't know what posessed me to buy the mold! (Maybe that's why nobody else is selling them!)

Kelly

Just for comparision, I sell generic 2x7 pillars for $6.75. Just to give you a target to see if your costs are in line with that. These are just plain paraffin, though, no special meanings or marketing strategies :) They're what I started making after looking at the pricing in metaphysical shops :)

I actually just recently added a pricing formula to my website recently. I've handed out this formula to so many people over the years, I figured it'd just be easiest to add it to a 'public' place for reference. You should be able to find it here.

http://www.soapersworkshop.com/store/index.php?page=Product%20Pricing%20Formula

It's a great system for helping you calculate out all your costs, including ingredients, labor, overhead, profit, wholesale and retail. Hope it helps!

Wow! Thanks soapersworkshop for your link! That gave me alot of insight on pricing I wouldn't otherwise have considered. It is a long way off before I ever sell anything but that was a great breakdown. <3 this board

I actually just recently added a pricing formula to my website recently. I've handed out this formula to so many people over the years, I figured it'd just be easiest to add it to a 'public' place for reference. You should be able to find it here.

http://www.soapersworkshop.com/store/index.php?page=Product%20Pricing%20Formula

It's a great system for helping you calculate out all your costs, including ingredients, labor, overhead, profit, wholesale and retail. Hope it helps!

Hi Lindsay,

I've never yet needed to use the info from any of your posts, but I'd like to say thank you anyway for some of the amazing, well-thought-out things you've posted. They are quite a resource for those of us who are a little less business oriented. Thanks!