Having a moment - UV Inhibitor

Use from .15% up to .25% depending on the dye, wax and fragrance being used.

Scroll down to see Chart here... http://www.bittercreeksouth.com/additives.htm

I'm finding I have to use 1tsp/lb, less than that and the candles still fade.

Candle Man, are you using the Bitter Creek NEW UV Color Stablizer or another UV?

Cause on their message board, they have a picture of two candles that were sitting in a window, sun pouring in, and they didn't fade. years went by and no fading. It won't last long if you have to use a teaspoon per lb.... Have you used it soy?

Candle Man, are you using the Bitter Creek NEW UV Color Stablizer or another UV?

Cause on their message board, they have a picture of two candles that were sitting in a window, sun pouring in, and they didn't fade. years went by and no fading. It won't last long if you have to use a teaspoon per lb.... Have you used it soy?

Yes, I'm using their UV in soy and at 1/2 tsp per 1 lb of wax I'm still getting fadeing. The fadeing is caused both by sunlight through my store windows and floresent lights, but most is from the lights.

I've got my soy candle, Love Spell scent, purple liquid color and 1 tesp per lb of BCN UV, sitting in my window now. I have a shop that returned two batches of these and the second had some other UV stuff. They turned brown from the lights or sun, not sure which but they were not in the window or top shelf. We'll see, guess I won't be able to get my money back since their's was done in J233 and they don't know how it does in soy. Sure hope it works...

Seems odd they would change color like that.

That's why I have never had much faith in UV additives. I had tried them before and never noticed that they did anything for my candles or tarts. So I haven't used it for years. Still have some from several companies. That's why I keep asking what is it made from and how can they be so different in looks. But when I saw the pictures and read the results from Doneen at BC, I bought a lb. for $39.00 so I really hope it's the real stuff.

I recently saw a site selling 2 kinds of UV protectors (we call it sun screen) - one for the red/yellow colors and the other for blue/green. I just received some from another source so I didn't order any (and can't remember where the heck I saw it...:rolleyes2), but I might give it a try in the future. I know in other media, blue colors (teals, periwinkles, some greens etc.) tend to fade and change color fairly rapidly, whereas the reds & yellows simply fade some over time. The lighter the color value, the quicker it seems to fade.

The stuff we have works pretty well from what I can tell. Our candle colors faded rapidly when exposed to sunlight until we started using it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I've got my soy candle, Love Spell scent, purple liquid color and 1 tesp per lb of BCN UV, sitting in my window now. I have a shop that returned two batches of these and the second had some other UV stuff. They turned brown from the lights or sun, not sure which but they were not in the window or top shelf. We'll see, guess I won't be able to get my money back since their's was done in J233 and they don't know how it does in soy. Sure hope it works...

Well it's been a couple of weeks and my candle has not faded in sunlite or florescent lite. Guess 1 tesp. pp is the trick. I'm only using it for candles right now but have a few tarts testing. I want to see if it keeps the tarts from turning dryish...

• 4 weeks later...
Well it's been a couple of weeks and my candle has not faded in sunlite or florescent lite. Guess 1 tesp. pp is the trick. I'm only using it for candles right now but have a few tarts testing. I want to see if it keeps the tarts from turning dryish...

Gave the love spell candle to a shop to test. She is the one that had the Love Spell/purple candle fade. Even the ones with the UV additive from another company. It's been there for 1 month and still looks good. So Bitter Creek's NEW UV Color Stabilizer works for me at 1 teaspoon per lb. Now if I can just remember to add to my candle batches. HTH