Rubber Plugs or Wick Screws?

I'm fairly happy with my wick putty except that I need to put a bit of tape on the wick so the putty doesn't stick into the wick and look fugly. Also, if I'm rushing, the putty fails. I need to place an order, so I'd be thrilled if someone shared their best method. I use 100% cotton flat wicks.

Kelly

Sorry this will not help you.

Here is another method of making pilars without a wick when pouring.

To me this is the fastest & easiest method to making pillars.

I don't like flat or other wicks for pillars, they are just to flimsy & to me don't burn very well. I also hate the plugs, screws & putty. I like the quick & easy method of pouring pillars without a wick.

Make sure the bottom of the mold is clean. If it's a tin mold just cover the wick hole with a business card magnet. If it's an aluminum mold first palce a piece of duct tape over the wick hole and smooth out any wrinkles then place a piece of metal aluminum tape over the other tape and smooth out.

To make the pillar I use the wick centering tool

PWCT-2-7.jpg

http://www.wickcenteringtool.com/default.asp?S=500&A=F&SearchText=&CategoryID=&NID=3453555

The rod just sits into the wick hole, which is covered & no leaking. Once the pillar is finished you pill the rod out then remove the candle from the mold. Then you insert either a pre primed & tabbed wick or a primed wick without a tab. Tabbed or un-tabbed is weather the candle holder has the metal spike.

Just thought I would show you another method for pillars.

I usually use wick pins when I can. but I really like Candle Man's method.

It is so much easier than wick pins. With wick pins you still have to use some kind of sealer, which is a mess. Also the wick pin base sticks out of the base of the mold and makes it harder to level the mold.

With the wick centering tool, you have nothing in the way of the base of the mold, so you have a more sturdy mold.

I feel so stupid..looking at candlemans photo I just realized I must be using my pillar wick pins wrong..I put them inside of the mold..it looks in the photo the wick pin is threaded from the bottom..what do you then use to prevent leaking? When I pour my pillars with a large wick pin, I put the pin inside of the mold and I seal the mold with Plumber's Putty...very cheap and works great...

The photo is how I use wick pins as well, thread it through the wick hole from the outside of the mold. I use a bit of mold sealer (gray) around the base of the wick pin, thread it through the mold and then push down on it for a good seal.

Honestly, I'm getting ready to go back to threading actual wick through the candle and then pour it. I'm finding out that if you use the wick pin, sometimes it will be larger than the size of your actual wick. Granted you can use a heatgun and just blast the top for a bit to close it, but it doesn't close it all the way down the candle and to me, that's just too much.

Not to mention that I'm finding caves and cavities in my candles more with the use of a wick pin. Not sure what that's about, but that makes me uncomfortable enough to re-consider them.

I feel so stupid..looking at candlemans photo I just realized I must be using my pillar wick pins wrong..I put them inside of the mold..it looks in the photo the wick pin is threaded from the bottom..what do you then use to prevent leaking? When I pour my pillars with a large wick pin, I put the pin inside of the mold and I seal the mold with Plumber's Putty...very cheap and works great...

Don't feel stupid, that's how I do it as well...with a rubber plug under the mold poking upwards. I set the mold on a 6oz tin for stability. No problems as long as I make sure the pin is seated correctly.

Of course I'm just a hobbyist when it comes to pillars, and now that I've admitted to doing it this way (even with 200* palm wax) I will get spillage after spillage, I am sure. :laugh2:

Candle Kitty: The reason you are finding caves and cavities in your candles is not from using wick pins. These are caused by not keeping your relief holes open long enough. When you allow your relief holes to close up too soon, you will get air pockets in your candle...which causes the caves and cavities. Just thought you might like to know.:smiley2:

I was using wick pins but the time I saved from sealing and wacking went wasted trying to get the pillar leveled. So now I wick my molds.

I don't use plugs or screw Urban, I just do as you say. A piece of tape to mask the wick, a bit (or a lot it depends on wax temp) of grey sealer and then again a bit of metal tape.

I believe it pays in the end. I have the most centered wicks and most levelled candles than using wick pins!

Wick pins can be used either inside or outside, it's a preference thing.

If you don't use wick pins and pre-wick instead, the bit of mold putty and metal tape (aluminum tape) is a sure fire method. Never ever had a leak.