So are all stearics created equal?

I recently got a new batch of stearic from a different supplier. I am using it in my pillars (veg) to help release from the molds better and get a steadier flame. This worked fine with my old stearic. Now I am getting huge tunnels down the middle of my pillars. And the ones that don't get this have very large cracks in other places. I did the same amount for both kinds, if anything I did less of my new brand. Can anyone tell me whats up with this? (Other than stick with the brand I bought first) I even remelted all of the pillars again, added double the wax - of course left out the stearic - and repoured. I still have cracks. Even when I add the new one to my palm pillars it makes it chrystal and not feather. I guess I don't understand how something that is called the same name can be so different.

Can you tell us what the two stearics were that you bought? Maybe we can get a better look at what the difference might be.

It was my impression that the quality of the product for candlemaking is pretty standardized these days but perhaps not. Stearic has always been a variable product available at different levels of purity. The more pure it is the higher the melting point and performance. Often you will see a reference to "triple-pressed" stearic acid, which is the high grade we normally use.

Do you know if its animal or veggie based stearic acid? I was reading about stearic making soaps & candles harder so I bought some from WSP, not knowing too much about the product (it is triple pressed and veggie based). Then I was reading somewhere else and they talked about stearic being animal based .

This was part of the topic on a different forum that I read.. "Stearic Acid--Is produced from animal or vegetable sources. If you're particular ask the supplier if it's animal or veg based."

Could this be the problem? I don't know :confused: I'm new to this product, but thought I'd throw this out there. I actually got it because WSP in their stearic acid's description said "To harden MP soap, use no more than 1 tablespoon per pound of MP Soap" to make soaps harder. Then they turn around and say don't use in M&P bases (under the M&P base descriptions) I've read both yes it does affect the lather and no it doesn't. WOW so much contradictory info out there what's a soap newbie to think. I also got it to add the MC's all natural veggie based pillar/votive blend. I use it for electric candles and have had a problem with them recently cracking as I take them out in the silicone molds. :angry2:

KY carries both a veg stearic and a palm stearic - both veg based - don't know what the difference is. CandleScience's stearic is the "triple pressed palm stearic" (vegetable based). Its what I use and no problems.

As far as the electric candles - I'm surprised you could get them out of the molds without them cracking - using a soy. Aren't you concerned about them melting when you put the bulbs in? Does it work for you?

KY carries both a veg stearic and a palm stearic - both veg based - don't know what the difference is. CandleScience's stearic is the "triple pressed palm stearic" (vegetable based). Its what I use and no problems.

As far as the electric candles - I'm surprised you could get them out of the molds without them cracking - using a soy. Aren't you concerned about them melting when you put the bulbs in? Does it work for you?

I've worked HARD on these puppies.... I had to put them away for awhile before I pulled out all my hair. I use MC's pillar/votive blend, not soy. Its supposed to be harder than soy. I've tried MANY differ watted bulbs to find the right one as they looked like they were sweating with anything higher than a 3 watt. I use a flickering 1 watt bulb and a 3 watt bulb with no problems. It took awhile to find the right bulb! I also use a high % of beeswax and they were coming out good, then all of a sudden they started breaking and I tried EVERYTHING I could think of (greasing the mold, using a mold release granular for the wax.... and nothing.) I recently came across the stearic acid so I figured I would try that, when I'm ready to tackle the electric candles again. :rolleyes2

Can you tell us what the two stearics were that you bought? Maybe we can get a better look at what the difference might be.

It was my impression that the quality of the product for candlemaking is pretty standardized these days but perhaps not. Stearic has always been a variable product available at different levels of purity. The more pure it is the higher the melting point and performance. Often you will see a reference to "triple-pressed" stearic acid, which is the high grade we normally use.

They both say they are veg based. One is powder and the other is kind of grainy - could this be the difference? I guess this one is more pure than the first batch. I bought the first batch from a body care supply and the the second from a candle making supply. I would think the body care one would be more pure. Neither claimed to be triple pressed.

They both say they are veg based. One is powder and the other is kind of grainy - could this be the difference? I guess this one is more pure than the first batch. I bought the first batch from a body care supply and the the second from a candle making supply. I would think the body care one would be more pure. Neither claimed to be triple pressed.
I think that would be the explanation. You probably did buy two very different things, but I don't know what the body care version would have been exactly.

I think you're liable to get consistent results by sticking with the stuff sold for candlemaking. I have never seen it in any other form than smallish white flakes. I have regular TP stearic and TP palm stearic here. Visually they're indistinguishable. By feel and smell I could probably just barely tell one from the other.