Is there Really Such a Thing?

My vet has asked me if I make pet odor eater candles.

Is there really such a thing....he says he has since them in many scents.

He says he has seen Black Raspberry Vanilla, Vanilla, Cucumber and others

He says they really work well... he burns them in the office and would like to buy from me and even put up a display to sell them, he says they are 8oz tins.

Wouldn't something special have to been in them, like enzymes or something else?

Does anyone know?

TIA

JMO but I think it's more of a marketing ploy. I did some research on enzymes (I also have 3 dogs and 2 cats that live inside a 1000sf house) and from what I read the enzymes kill the odors by "eating" what causes them. Now, in my way of thinking that would mean that the enzyme would have to come in contact with a surface that has something that is causeing the odor not just float around in the air. But, what do I know. I bet if you have animals and burn one of those candles it won't take long for the smells to come back once you've blown the candle out.

I have a few kennel owners that buy from me. They love the ones I came up with for them and burn them all the time but only certain scents. You have to be careful that the scents you sell them don't when mixed with animal smells create something horrible. Here is an example in a dog kennel if you burn sweet pea it will start smelling like cat urine but hot fudge brownie or red hots won't. My kennel owner tell me it that for hours after they quit burning the candles that it still smells like the candle.

Well, dont you love america!! Marketing is everything!! We can sell anything. An odor eating product is something that covers up the smell. So anything strong. There are some essential oils that will kill bacteria and that is what truley kills odors. But can you put essential oils in candles? The fumes from a candle will float on things and kill the odor. I don't really make a whole lot of special candles, but if someone knows how to get essential oils in a candle, you would use Rosemary, Citrinella, Lavender, and anise. But more my point is that America uses smell for moods. So if you had a candle burning in a vets office you would smell the scent of the candle. But to claim that it gets rid of the odor, would in my opionin be false, because the only way to get rid of a smell is to clean, Just simple clean!!

I checked on the online patent search and found nada. We should email them and ask them about the patent. I wonder if they can provide one...they shouldn't have any objection because if it is truly "patented"--not like someone could steal it and if they are advertising it as such, don't they have to back their claim to not be done for false advertising?

What type of chemical is used in air fresheners? They claim to eat odors in the air too. They come in all types of scents. Why don't they eliminate their own scent? How would a spray know which are the good air molecules and which ones are evil? :confused: Don't know. Never been one to use spray air fresheners much. Seems to me that it is fragrance to cover up the odor.

I emailed them--they said the product was aldehyde sun citrus and the oil manufacturer held the patent. Seemed very forthcoming so I tend to believe them. I did not find anything at the patent office under that name although that could just be the name they sell it under and it may have a different chemical name. I won't ask them to name their supplier--that is a bit rude to some people.

I used to work for a chemical company that sold products for this. It was their specialty.

First there are two type of air fresheners. Ones that cover up (overpowering current odor) , and ones that eliminate (by chemical reaction).

Citrus oil is one of the eliminators. Its comes oil based, and is flammable.

Being flammable, I don't see how citrus oil can be used in a candle.

And enzymes won't work without direct contact with food and moisture to keep the enzymes alive and active.

If you really want a odor eliminator, its best to buy a can of "Orange odor eliminator" from Wal-mart. Its not cheap, but its very effective.

For larger commercial needs, check Neutronindustries.com

If you really want a odor eliminator, its best to buy a can of "Orange odor eliminator" from Wal-mart. Its not cheap, but its very effective.

For larger commercial needs, check Neutronindustries.com

So if you want to make your own odor eliminator, who would you call? And aren't all the oils we use in candles flammable? A lot of use use citrus oils for our candles including orange EO.

I emailed them--they said the product was aldehyde sun citrus and the oil manufacturer held the patent. Seemed very forthcoming so I tend to believe them. I did not find anything at the patent office under that name although that could just be the name they sell it under and it may have a different chemical name. I won't ask them to name their supplier--that is a bit rude to some people.

Did you email the one I posted or the other one that was posted?

Part I don't get is Bell A Roma says this

REMOVES Pet and smoke Odors.

Then in another line it says

SPRAYS work for only a few minutes, Odor ELIMINATOR (their candle) works for hours.

So which is it, does it remove it, or mask it for hours?

Burning beeswax produces "negative ions" which cleans the air of impurities plus adding the citrus f/o's promotes a fresher cleaner aroma. See attached.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/11.13.03/candles-0346.html

I would love to know if this is a proven fact or just his opinion. I've never heard of the beeswax and negative ions... interesting.

This is so easy, it is elimination by Masking, there is a patent for odor elimination but it is about 37 diff natural oils that do this and you have to spray it on the surface, you cant burn it.

So if you want to make your own odor eliminator, who would you call?

A chemist. Odor elimination is fairly new thing, and they're finding more and more oils that have the chemical properties. Other than that, I'd squeeze a LOT of orange peels. lol.

And aren't all the oils we use in candles flammable? A lot of use use citrus oils for our candles including orange EO.

We may use oils in candles as stated by marketing efforts as "eliminators", but do they still work as such after being burned? I don't know. I just know they still smell groovy.

NOT being a chemist, I don't know the affect of having the eliminator oils burned through a candle. Little of chemistry I know, when something flammable burns, it changes the chemical makeup entirely.

But they may have easily found a way to make citris oil unaffected by the fire through some chemical wizadry.

Personally, to me its a moot point. Unless there is a consistant source of odor, FO's do great. :grin2: