citric acid - safe levels?

I would be interested to know about this one too.

I make bath bombs for fun for myself and kids. The kids like to hold them in their hands when the water is running on it. My daughter complained of a stinging in her hands with it. I tried the same thing and it feels almost like a burning sensation in my hand that lasted a couple of minutes. I am sure that it is the citric acid. My recipe calls for about 20% of the total recipe.

Other than stinging with direct contact, that is the only caution that I am aware of.

This mentions it in passing

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-bha.html and more to the point

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-aha.html

It says AHAs shouldn't be used at more than 10%. But in our bath bombs, you have to remember they're diluted a ton, so your 20% in a bomb, in the tub, isn't very strong at all. Holding it in your hands *might* be problem I would guess?

Holding it in your hands *might* be problem I would guess?

Embarassing story, but I'm revealing it in the name of safety and education, so don't laugh. At least don't laugh and point.

I made Bunny's bath melts and in the tub the other night, put it on my belly because it was fun to watch it fizz. :o Apparently, I'm three. Anyway, I had a little red and irritated mark from the 10 or so seconds that I left it on there, so I would say that Robin's on the mark. Perhaps for liability purposes, it would be helpful to say something about not making direct contact with skin for a prolonged time, or something to that affect.

Because we all know there are plenty of weirdos out there who put fizzy things on their belly buttons in the bathtub.........

:awww: (and I'm sorry, but this guy is just a little obscene - just thought I'd throw it in there for kicks)

daniedb I guess we all do weird things w/ our bunny melts... I, which after reading this thread won't anymore, rubbed it on my arms the other night. I thought hey I'll get the full effect of the cocoa butter :embarasse. Anyway I can't say enough good things about these little melts - THANKS BUNNY:bow: (that's me doing the Bunny Worship:p).

WHAT'S everyone calling these little MASTERPIECES?? Bath Truffles, Body Candy, Bath Melts?? Still trying to think of a name that's as GREAT as the product!!

Maryanne, I've done the same thing, rubbing them on my arms and legs, love these melties.

I also decided to sniff the leftover bathbomb mix in the bottom of the bowl today, got some up my nose, and the inside of my nose is kind of irritated, Not as bad as the time I opened my first can of SLSA and decided to see what it smelled like. You'd think I would learn. :bliss: (insert sissors in this little guys hand to make him me.)

I also decided to sniff the leftover bathbomb mix in the bottom of the bowl today, got some up my nose, and the inside of my nose is kind of irritated, Not as bad as the time I opened my first can of SLSA and decided to see what it smelled like. You'd think I would learn. :bliss: (insert sissors in this little guys hand to make him me.)

W:shocked2:W I know what you mean about the SLSA. I'm afraid to sell the powdered bubble bath. I luv it but it KILLS my nose every time I pour it in the bath. Does anyone know of anything to add to the mixture to tame the SLSA so it doesn't "fly" through the air and up my nose??