my soap...

ruba

is NOT very pretty. Everyting was going along just fine. I added the FO (had not tried until today) JS Celestial Waters, it looked fine was going to do a nice yellow swirl in my new mold DH made me. Pull the spoon out, slide the mold to me and go to pour ... PLOP!!! Crap, siezed up on me so I thow the color portion in and try to mix it in with the "GLOOP" in the mold. I slammed the mold on the table 1/2 a dozen times and threw it in the oven that was already pre-heated to 170. What do I do with this stuff??

I don't know if throwing it in the oven was the right thing to do...but I panicked. I hear about you guys and gals "saving" a batch... how would I go about doing this now??? Rebatch?? I LOVE this scent and will have to research rebatching quickly!

Any helps, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

100_3132.jpg

Oh my!! I'm sorry this happened to you! It kinda looks like it's bubbling now!! I'd be crappin' my pants when I noticed it seizing.. :shocked2: I'm not sure but maybe if you kept it in one pot and cooked in the oven more? I have no clue as I've never done this before?? Where are the experts...:lipsrseal

I'd probably throw it away, but that's coming from someone who is skeered to rebatch lol. I think you gotta wait to see if it sets up and if it zaps. If it sets up and doesn't zap, maybe you can pretty it up with some shimmery stuff or just grate away the whole thing and learn to rebatch.

Thanks gals for the words of encouragement.

It gelled, it did not zap, it cut fine and surprisingly didn't have any holes/air pockets!! YEAH! The top is lumpy, but it almost looks like I did it on purpose. You can kinda see where the yellow swirl portion didn't get mixed in the rest. And it smells GOOOOD

I guess slamming the heck out of it one the counter and putting it in the oven help... not to mention a little bit of a stress reliever.:wink2:

100_3135.jpg

i didnt know you can put soap in the oven

It's called CPOP (Cold Process Oven Process). A 150-175 degree oven can help the soap to gel. It can also cause it to overheat and you DON'T want a plastic mold for this.

As far as the seizing, if the soap has totally seized, you can continue on to HP the batch by either oven HP or crockpot HP. It should loosen up and go through all the typical HP stages. If you've discounted water, you can add it back in. You can even add sugar or sodium lactate after the fact to help keep the batch more fluid.

This saves you the step of waiting for it to set up and all that shredding knowing that you'll have to rebatch anyway.

Good Save :wink2:

That turned out beautiful after all Rachel!:yay:

I agree :thumbsup: !! The oven can really do wonders for soap that seizes on you- I've used it for that purpose many times. Ya know if this didn't turn out pretty and didn't zap you could saved it for your family to use. My DH has his own HUGE stash of soap that didn't turn out "pretty" for sale purposes-lol.

Thanks gals for the kind words and suggestions. I am not sure what I am going to do with them... maybe pretty them up, maybe just "make" my friends and family use it... we'll see.

Sometimes the mess ups just work out anyway. It looks great! Seizing doesn't always have to be a crisis and the end of an FO. Maybe next time soap cooler and take your lye to water ratio down to give you more play time - you'd be surprised how it helps. I always give FO's a second chance if they seize as long as they smell good.

Bethany