NEW PROJECT: Mosaic TV Tray (Pic Heavy)

nayarx8

Ok, I have always wanted to work with mosaic tiles. But, until last Saturday, I have never done it before. Couldnt really find the info I needed, so I decided to wing-it at the craft store. Made a Patriotic wooden serving tray. Then, the next day, decided to try an actual standing wooden tray. Went back to the craft store to get supplies. Couldnt figure out how many tiles I needed, or how much grout or glue. FINALLY, after three more trips to get enough supplies, came home and started. Made up a pattern in my head, and went to town. Still have a bit of clean-up to do, but this is the gist of it: Lemme know if you guys have any tips! PLEASE!!! Got grout on my patio, ruined my clothes, and cant seem to clean up the grout on the tray itself. This project turned out to be an ABSOLUTE nightmare; this will be the LAST mosaic I ever do! (Right-click to enlarge pics)

post-2327-139458426294_thumb.jpg

post-2327-139458426295_thumb.jpg

post-2327-139458426297_thumb.jpg

post-2327-1394584263_thumb.jpg

I haven't tried mosaic but have tiled floors. You need to use lots of clean water to wipe off the grout initially. Then you need to go back over the tiles with clean dry clothes to wipe of the grout glaze. Am guessing mosaic would be similar. Try water on the patio and your clothes - lots of water. I'm thinking the mosaic pieces need to be closer together. More like what you have in the very center of your design. I'm sure mosaics is just like everything else we do. Practice makes perfect. Lots and lots of practice.

Putting the pieces closer together is a good tip- I did a coffee table top a few yrs ago(the pieces were spaced like yours) and it just didn't hold up too well at my house, the grout would break off. But then again I do have monster children who seem to find a way to break everything.........

Ok, I have always wanted to work with mosaic tiles. But, until last Saturday, I have never done it before. Couldnt really find the info I needed, so I decided to wing-it at the craft store. Made a Patriotic wooden serving tray. Then, the next day, decided to try an actual standing wooden tray. Went back to the craft store to get supplies. Couldnt figure out how many tiles I needed, or how much grout or glue. FINALLY, after three more trips to get enough supplies, came home and started. Made up a pattern in my head, and went to town. Still have a bit of clean-up to do, but this is the gist of it: Lemme know if you guys have any tips! PLEASE!!! Got grout on my patio, ruined my clothes, and cant seem to clean up the grout on the tray itself. This project turned out to be an ABSOLUTE nightmare; this will be the LAST mosaic I ever do! (Right-click to enlarge pics)

Ohhh, don't quit :cry2: I gotta say that I am impressed! This looks great. Can't believe this is your first try!! Here is a link that has some good info:

http://www.mosaicartsupply.com/mosaicfaqs.htm

As far as clean up I am new myself so can't help with that one-sorry.

Thanks so much for that link, TLC!!! VERY imformative. And, thanks everybody for the tips and compliments. The last few days, I keep looking at it, and now Im pretty proud of what I accomplished with NO experience.:yay: