Silicone Spray... dry or wet?

I don't use silicone spray.

I use mineral oil and an artist long handled paint brush. I pour the oil into another bottle with a filp top spout, squirt some oil in the mold, then spread around with the brush, them insert a paper towel and swish around with the handle of the brush, to remove excess to leave a thin flim.

Works great and way less expensive.

I find if I sprayed, there sometimes was a white residue on the outside of the candle when it set up. When I spray, I spray the silicone on a paper towel, then wipe the mold. I use Viva towels, which are really soft, and not much is left behind, BUT, I only spray new molds. After 2 or 3 uses, I don't need to spray. I use 6228 wax, and it releases with out any outside help.

Fredron

I dont think it matters, I have never noticed a difference either. I clean my molds, spray, then pour. It does depend though on what i'm making. I dont spray often when making chunky pillars. I did find that I have to spray everytime when making rustics and solid pillars.

Thanks for the answers guys!

I've tried not spraying my molds at all, to see what would happen, but with pillar blend, no other adds, no color, no FO, it's darn near impossible to get out of the mold! I've used each mold approx 8 times.

I spray then wipe with a papertowel. I generally spray while my wax is melting, so my mold is dry when I pour. I really don't think it matters whether wet or dry, because when I touch the inside of my mold before I pour it feels slightly greasy.

I agree with Fredron... if you use too much or leave excess spray in the mold it can affect the finish on your pillar. Sometimes it can cause tiny little pits. So wiping the excess out with a paper towel is good. Mold release powder works really great too (that's the kind you add right into the wax like an additive). HTH!