making a soap mold wood or ???

so dh asked what I wanted for mothers day~ I dont really want anything but then I thought I really want to make CP soap and I have been gathering supplies to do this...I still need a mold. I really want a log mold but am having a hard time paying $50 for it and then waiting for it to arrive.

Dh wondered if he could make me one. Anyone else make one or have one made? Would you suggest wood or nonstick? Any ideas or tips I should suggest...i need to show him pictures and dementions etc... but this would be a lovely gift from him:grin2:

I agree, not buying a mold at first is a great idea until you are sure you want to keep making soap. I didn't my first "real" mold until after a year of making soap. I used the Target log molds, Rubbermaid molds and loaf pans. I love my Kelsei and think it's been a great investment. I have some saved sites that show how to make your own molds but I'll have to look for them. When I find them I can post for ya.

oh maybe I wasn't clear..I dont want a "homemade" mold from something laying around...No he would make me a nice mold that you all are buying. If I am going to make soap I want to do it right...hes handy and I am lucky to have men in my family who are handy and able to make things.:D

You can get a log or slab mold quite inexpensively from Julie at Woodcrafters.

She is having a sale, it's listed in the Supplier Ad section of this board. I have a few of her molds, and they were priced very reasonable. Perfect molds for beginners that don't want to invest a ton of money in soap supplies.

oh maybe I wasn't clear..I dont want a "homemade" mold from something laying around...No he would make me a nice mold that you all are buying. If I am going to make soap I want to do it right...hes handy and I am lucky to have men in my family who are handy and able to make things.:D

Some of my best molds when I first stared out were "homemade molds from stuff laying around" LOL

But yes, it is nice to have people who are handy and can make stuff for ya! :)

Sure is and my first molds were boxes and a freezer tray..LOL.in the beginning it doesn't really matter because your basically in the developing/testing stage and need to research the oils, break some rules and make some mistakes and have fun while your at it:D after I had made a billion bars of soap with just as many formulas and had them all tested and from there came up with 3-4 final recipes, my BIL made 3 4lb log molds and my husband made 1 and today I am going to make my first KD (kitchen drawer) soap....finally...TODAY!:D