Does anyone know how to make a VERY MOISTURIZING cp soap?

CBE

While I was browsing the internet one day... I came across a website that sells CP soap. One in particular caught my attention... it claimed to moisturize your skin... almost leaves a thin film of "moisturizer" on your skin. Now, I absolutely LOVE CP soap. It smells wonderful, it's better for your skin... but everyone that I have used leaves my skin feeling sooooo dry. Has anyone ever made a cp soap that was moisturizing enough to leave a thin film of "oil" on your skin? I would LOVE to try one of those. I am not a CP soap maker. I'm too chicken to try. LOL I stick to M&P... which is also very drying. The only one that is a tad bit moisturizing that I've made is my shaving soap bar... but I use Pink Clay in it... along with castor oil... so it makes it a bit more moisturizing than regular M&P.

I would like a CP soap that would make my skin feel "lotioned up" after I get out the shower. Is there a such thing as this? And if so... I want one!! LOL

You could superfat - that would leave unsaponified oils behind - but your soap would be soft, greasy, and get used up too quickly. I recently made some superfatted at almost 8% and don't like the feel of it (almost slimy and slick for my taste). You could do the same with MP I guess - which brand do you use/ - some are worse than others.

What web site was it?

Take your regular CP soap, and once poured into the mold and slightly thickened, take melted cocoa butter and drizzle it on top, then swirl. Drizzle in very thin lines, so as not to overdose and kill the lather. It remains largely unsaponified and hardens with the soap once cooled. Makes for a very moisturizing bar!

I make a carrot soap in which I use half water, half carrot juice as the liquids and it feels like lotion after you use it, it is great for shaving your leggs. Women love it, men don't. Men say that it leaves that silky feel on my skin, yuk I want to be clean, hee hee. Seriously it is one of my best selling soaps.

Janis Rogers

You could superfat - that would leave unsaponified oils behind - but your soap would be soft, greasy, and get used up too quickly. I recently made some superfatted at almost 8% and don't like the feel of it (almost slimy and slick for my taste). You could do the same with MP I guess - which brand do you use/ - some are worse than others.

What web site was it?

Susanne's Crafty Corner

Scroll down to #6 soap... it's called Experimental Conditioning Soap. I would LOVE to be the guinea pig for this soap... I'd try it in a second!!!

I make a carrot soap in which I use half water, half carrot juice as the liquids and it feels like lotion after you use it, it is great for shaving your leggs. Women love it, men don't. Men say that it leaves that silky feel on my skin, yuk I want to be clean, hee hee. Seriously it is one of my best selling soaps.

Janis Rogers

I'll have to try that, thanks for sharing. :D

My skin is perpetually dry and this sounds fabulous.

My personal and most favorite soap to use that feels very moisturizing to me is my homemade Castile-type recipe (or Bastile) made with 80% Oilive Oil. I use some bubbly oils to make up the rest of the 20%, use fresh goat milk as part of my liquid amount, and superfat it at 7%.

Some people may not like slickery feel of it, and it does get goopy if you let it sit in water (which I avoid by using a soap dish), but I must say that I never, ever feel like I have to use lotion when I use this soap.

While I love all my soaps and each one of them is so much better than store-bought soap, this particular soap is my own personal and special treasure above all the rest. It makes my skin feel so soft, silky and moist.

MarieJeanette

This sounds very intersting, I would like to give it a try. Do you add your lye to the mixture of carrot/water?

I mix equal parts lye to water so if my recipe calls for 26 oz. of lye I mix that with 26 oz. of water, maybe 1 or 2 more oz. of water. That's about the limit on lye and water to get the lye to dissolve. Then I make the soap as usual and add the remaining amt. of called for water to the recipe at thin trace in the form of the carrot juice, hopefully that makes sense. That's how I do it, I'm sure if you froze your carrot juice and used really cold water you could add the lye to the water/carrot juice mixture but I haven't done it that way. Hope it helps some.

Janis

This sounds very intersting, I would like to give it a try. Do you add your lye to the mixture of carrot/water?

I guess I'm a bit lost. :undecided I started making this earlier and this is how I made it. My recipe calls for 8-12oz of water so I took 5oz and made my lye water and then I made another 5oz of carrot juice. I added lye water to oils and stick blended for a couple minutes and then added my carrot juice. It all seemed fine but how will I know if something is wrong?

I guess I'm a bit lost. :undecided I started making this earlier and this is how I made it. My recipe calls for 8-12oz of water so I took 5oz and made my lye water and then I made another 5oz of carrot juice. I added lye water to oils and stick blended for a couple minutes and then added my carrot juice. It all seemed fine but how will I know if something is wrong?

You don't sound lost at all, that's what Janis was explaining- you got it ;). Has someone caught the CP bug-lol.

Janis this sounds wonderful. Do you make your carrot juice or buy it?? Does it color your soap at all when adding at trace?

I like OO in soap I think it helps w/ that silky feeling- others feel slime. I have a VHM Coffee Bar I make w/ coffee butter and LUV it.

Also arkangel your input was interesting- I may give that a try too.

You don't sound lost at all, that's what Janis was explaining- you got it ;). Has someone caught the CP bug-lol.

Maybe I caught a little bug but Mystical Angels soap swap was for cp soap so I had to break outta my shell and try cp again. It's pretty quick and easy but I dislike that I can't use it right away. I'm so spoiled and am so impatient and want instant gratification. I

shhhhh don't tell anyone but I test mine 2-3 days after I make them- just don't sell right away.

I'm sad I didn't sign up in time for that swap, but I ordered 5 of Glo's FOs to try so I'm going to have my own swap w/ me-lol. Sounds like peeps are having lots of soaping issues. :undecided

Weeel, your soap will continue to saponify that last bit over the next several days and you will get a better understanding of how mild the soap truly is, and what the lather will really be like. I always try almost right away cause I cannot resist, but don't make judgments until about a week or two.

It is still saponifying as it cures. Its amazing that the longer it sits the milder it becomes, loses water through evaporation/becomes hard, and sometimes (if your lucky) the scent gets stronger. I recently used a few from last year that didn't have the bubbles I wanted it to after I first made it and now its loaded w/ bubbles!

Good question, it goes both ways. A few I can't smell the FO right after its made, then after its been curing a few weeks you can smell the scent again. I've had some you can't smell until water hits them per one customer. Yet others start strong and fade out after a few months.

Janis this sounds wonderful. Do you make your carrot juice or buy it?? Does it color your soap at all when adding at trace?

I buy my carrot juice but if I had a juicer I would make my own, Yes it will color your soap anywhere from a darkish yellow to an orange color. I make my pumpkin soap with some carrot juice and pumpkin and a bit of gm and it

comes out looking like pumpkin.

Janis