Poll for main oil in CP and why

diamondk

I made a couple of batches w/ olive, and I wasn't thrilled. And not just cuz they were first crummy batches. I don't like the smell of olive, I don't like how it colored. I don't even like to cook with it.

I don't use soy products if I don't have to, we don't keep any in the house, a leftover from my diet research years ago - not particularly against soy in soap. (I've fallen a bit since my waxes have soy in them now though).

So when a guy on the Dish mentioned to me that he had tried a high-RBO bar and it hardened up fine, it clicked that I didn't have to be a slave to OO, and that was it for me. Ever since I've used RBO - the plus was I used to be able to get it 1 block away from work. Now I've got to ship it in. Plus, very few people were using it on the forums at the time, and I always have to do something different :)

RBO doesn't work for everyone - I've heard lots of people say they get DOS with it. Never had the problem - could be cuz they live in high humidity areas. RBO doesn't like that I don't think.

Ohhh, decisions, decisions. I'm not very good at choosing. Ms. Indecisive here. However, I like RBO and OO right now almost exactly the same. I do have an issue, like Robin said, with the OO and the color of the final bar. Having a nice, white bar is something I've had to sacrifice with my OO using. For some reason the RBO that I got from Riceland is pretty dark as well, though.

But as for feel, I like them both. Soybean oil I do like too, and the price is nice. However, I notice at high amounts it makes for an oddly-textured bar with the recipe I use. It is kind of spongey. During a swap someone sent a bar w/ high SO and it had the strangest texture to it. I remember it being a nice soap though, but it wasn't that rock-hard bar that I like to feel in my hand.

OK. Lots of ramble there, but I'm not sure that was much help. For me, it would be a split between the OO and RBO.

RBO for me.

I HATE OO. I'm with Robin, it stinks, it discolors the soap, and I just do not like it. (of course, the expense is a big factor for me also, cause it isn't cheap either!)

I get my RBO at riceland, at a fairly decent price, and it's food grade so I cook with it as well. :) I can go through the 6 gallons I get within about 2-3 months or so, cooking with it and making soap.. :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am thinking I will order a gallon of RBO from One-der here in Texas. It is cheaper than the website that e gave.

It looks like their gal price is a bit cheeper, but their 5 gal is worlds appart. $30 from HS and $52.50 from ODB

I know ODB is One-Der-Bar, a company that I like to use. They are nice folks and they have good prices. Some stuff you can find cheaper other places, you just have to shop around. I don't know what the other one is though.

I mainly use olive oil, I can get it cheap at walmart, and rice bran oil I find is not as affordable or readily avialable in Canada, and though I dont mind paying duty and shipping on some items, Large quantities of oil is not one of them. I did recently order some RBO, will try it out, but it is not a savings for me. The off colour bar dosnt bother me, and I dont notice an olive oil smell at 35 - 40 %. I always use 5 - 10 % liquid soybean oil in my recipie, it's a nice oil that keeps the cost down, and it's a nice oil, as Sara said, when I use it in high quantities, it does seem to make the bar softer.

It looks like their gal price is a bit cheeper, but their 5 gal is worlds appart. $30 from HS and $52.50 from ODB

Sounds crazy, but even with the shipping, I could not find anything locally to touch that price. $14 per gallon was the best I found locally and that's 70 bucks for 5.