Taping bottoms of pillars

Ok I feel relly stupid. I have never had this problem before. I made about 40 chunk pillars and everything was fine with the bottom of my mold not leaking. I tape it with a small piece of wick hanging to one side. I bought metal muffler tape. I was using eletric tape before, for the chunk pillars. I ran out of that and knew I would be pouring at a high temp(PALM). I do not know what to do I tried plumbers putty it leaked duct tape it leaks now the metal muffler tape. What am I doing wrong??????:o :o :o

I can only tell you what works for me... but I have to be very careful when taping molds to be used with palm wax at high temps..

I round the end of the wick out of the wick hole on itself..like making an "@".... if you leave the wick straight running toward the side of the modl it will make a way for wax to go even with tape on it... then put a small piece of metal paper on it to keep it in place. I don't like sealer on the weick so this little piece of tape keeps the wick clean. then I put a lot of grey sealer on it, push well and careful. Then I start again with metal tape, two long pieces put as in a cross shape, then again on the other senses.. all done with calm and pressing really well, from the center (wick hole) towards the sides.

Hope this makes sense!!!

I round the end of the wick out of the wick hole on itself..like making an "@".... if you leave the wick straight running toward the side of the modl it will make a way for wax to go even with tape on it...

That sounds like a good idea. I've been leaving mine straight, putting two pieces of electrical tape over it, the mold sealer over that.

The last two palm pillars I made never leaked.

Is it possible your doing the over pour at a higher temp? The hotter the wax, the more likely it is to leak. Chunky is the only kind I can tape without leaking because it hardens on the side so quickly. Other pillars I have to use the wick pin or I will sprout a leak every time :embarasse

Thanks for all the advice,I hope I dont need to go and buy wick pins for all my pillar moulds.I saw metal paper what and where would I buy this?I would like to try that before I buy wick pins. I also have plugs form Candlewic I cant figure out how to use them along with the wick. Does anyone know how to use these??? Thanks

I love to make chunks because mine NEVER leak. Even if I pour hot, by the time the wax reaches the bottom is is cool enough not to leak.....however....I use the little wick screws....just put it in a little so you don't cut off the wick....wrap it around the screw and put on ONE piece of masking tape....not painters tape...but regular masking tape. Pour slowly too....that way the wax gets a change to cool off. When I was teaching lessons in my store my very first student was a 5 year old who came in with her father. Her candle came out perfect. No leaks.....I told her to pour slowly and she followed my instructions. Then she came back with her mother and took another class and bought a kit from me. She made Christmas presents for all of their friends and relatives......so if a 5 year old could do it perfectly......then we can do it too....(smile)....Donita Louise

Yes I am pouring palm wax. I had no leaks with the chunk pillars. Can I still try the screw method with the metal tape Do you think that would work??I really want to try my palm pillar wax. Oh just to mention this My Buffalo Sabres are Headed to the cup!!!!!! Go BUFFALO :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: Im not excited am I????

I've had nothing but leaks sealing pillar molds with putty, tape & screws. I finally developed a method using some home made rubber washers that work every time-no hassle. My rubber is about 1/4" thick, and very soft. I tie a double knot in the wick, pass it through a steel washer made for little screws, then through the rubber into which I've poked a hole. I use a big darning needle to get the wick through the rubber. Then pass the wick into the mold, center it, pull it tight, and wrap it around a piece of steel I made, and I haven't had a leak since. To remove the candle from the mold, cut the knot & the candle slides out. No sticky tape residue, no putty mess, and no cutting the wick accidentally with a screw.

If you're interested in the method, private message me.

Fredron