is there such thing as a one pour votive blend?

4761 is supposed to be a one-pour votive blend. I tested it a while back and couldn't get it to be a one-pour for me, but I was doing some reading this week and found that I may have been pouring at the wrong temp. I also had problems wicking it with zinc wicks (the 36 was too small and the 44 was way too big), but then I tried the LX wicks and it burned prefectly with great throw. I will get picking up a slab next week to test again, since my current votive wax is giving me a fit. I get mine at www.carolinacandlesupplies.com

I got the 4761 to be a one-pour for me, but it makes an

U-G-L-Y!! votive.. I would have to mix it with J50 to get it to look good, but then it would consume really fast.. Just not worth it when the 4794 makes such an AWESOME votive (IMO of course).

I'm sticking with the 4794 until Peaks comes out with thier votive wax and I can test it and see how it compares. Hopefully it will, because I really don't want to have just one wax shipped in, and I sell a LOT of votives! :)

I totally agree with everything Anglea & Jcandleattic said. I futzed around with 4761 and finally gave it away. 4794 is so easy to work with, colors beautifully and the throw is amazing. To me, even if there was a one pour votive wax, I'd stick with 4794! ;)

thanks for all the advice..so here is my problem even after topping the votives off..I still have a slight dip by the wick is that normal?

And what wick do you use in the votives?

what temp do you pur at? I have been pouring at 175

That's about the temp I pour at too. I don't get the dip by the wick. I use wick pins though, not sure if that makes a difference. and I pour my top-off at the same temp as what I poured my votives at. never had a problem with them seperating or anything.

With the 4794 I use a 36 wick.. everything else I've found is too big.

may I ask what you charge for your votives?

or is that not Ok to ask here...?

Im just having a hard time pricing,

The best answer you will probably get on this question is, figure your costs, as it varies with everyone depending on where they get their product, shipping prices, and market value...

Standard is:

cost x 4 = retail

coxt x 2 = wholesale

HTH

I have been using 4794 as well. I am waiting to see what sort of votive blend Peak comes up with, and whether theirs is going to be a one pour. Unless it's a true one pour, it does not matter to me if it shrinks a lot or a little, because either way I have to do a top off and it's the same amount of work whether I'm topping off a little or a lot.

I had a hard time with pricing too. I looked at what other candle stores/makers were charging, and it was all over the place: $1, $1.25, $1.50, $1.75, $2.

First let me say that making votives in a large pain in the arse as far as I am concerned. I tried many waxes including 4614, 4625, 6228 and V. I have gone with the V. Having said that - it is very tempermental. I always end up pouring more than I need because there are usually 3-4 that come out badly. I have found that I must pour at 175 into heated molds to combat the jump lines. However, this gives a nice smooth top. I really hate that the wax cools so quickly at this temp so clean up is not easy.

For pricing - $1.50 each - shrink wrapped and 4/$5.00. I do not sell them on my site and will only do them if requested. I did make up a bunch last year for a Christmas show and they did sell well but I did not think it was worth my time.

Also, I love V for my clamshells. They come out well. Nice and smooth and good color. The V does not take color as well as J223 so the colors come out a little lighter. I have found that I can not increase the color too much or I do find a slight dye (liquid) scent.

HTH,

I do have to mention that the 4761 made really nice tarts - they were full, no sinking and had smooth tops with just one pour. Clamshells also came out beautifully. Great throw too. I have to agree though, votives are just a pain regardless of the wax.

You guys are so lucky, the only wax i can use is plain old parrafin wax.

Never made votives before but i ordered some votive moulds and wick pins (at an extremely high price may i add), hopefully they will come out ok, p.s i dont have a thermometer would it be a good thing to buy one ?

Sorry to just barge in on your post.

I don't think you really need more than 6%, if you are using good FO. I got a great throw with my tarts using this wax.

Oh, and a thermometer is not really optional. You really should know what temperature your wax is, for safety reasons and to make a good candle.