creative sand candles

Ok, I'm confused. Do you mean that there is sand on the bottom and sides like a container with the wax poured inside it? Those are sand candles.

If you mean candles made with different colors of stuff that LOOKS like sand, that is granulated candle wax.

Sand candles are easy to make. Put some sand in a bucket, get it damp, push a bowl or something else to make an indentation and then SLOWLY pour warm wax into that indentation....preferably over the back of a spoon so as not to drill a hole in the sand.

Granulated wax candles are easier. Pick out the colors you like and layer it around a secured wick.

HTH

Ok, I'm confused. Do you mean that there is sand on the bottom and sides like a container with the wax poured inside it? Those are sand candles.

If you mean candles made with different colors of stuff that LOOKS like sand, that is granulated candle wax.

Sand candles are easy to make.
Put some sand in a bucket, get it damp, push a bowl or something else to make an indentation and then SLOWLY pour warm wax into that indentation....preferably over the back of a spoon so as not to drill a hole in the sand.

Granulated wax candles are easier. Pick out the colors you like and layer it around a secured wick.

HTH

Sorry but no they aren't. They require very high temps to pour, around 250*F-300*F, which is very dangerous.

I agree with Candle Man. Pouring at high temps into fairly damp sand is what creates a stable container for the fill wax. Much testing is involved in creating a sand candle that not only looks good, but can actually be burned and enjoyed for its uniqueness (the "cool" factor) and awsome scent throw.

Sorry but no they aren't. They require very high temps to pour, around 250*F-300*F, which is very dangerous.

Actually they are easy to make. You don't need to heat your wax that high to make them either. I heat mine to normal temps ~180 and get a beautiful sand candle every time. :D

Actually they are easy to make. You don't need to heat your wax that high to make them either. I heat mine to normal temps ~180 and get a beautiful sand candle every time. :D

I agree that they are easy, I also have made these....and at normal temps!!

Actually they are easy to make. You don't need to heat your wax that high to make them either. I heat mine to normal temps ~180 and get a beautiful sand candle every time.
:D

All the directions out there say to heat at high temps.

Dose the sand stick at such a low temp? You need a thick coat of sand of about 1/2".

Back to the subject, at hand.

There is "sand" wax out there. It is wax as fine as sand. You just place a wick in the container then pour the "sand" wax in, either solid or layered colors then heat gun the top so it doesen't spill. All of the "sand" wax out there is un-scented.

Here is just one place for "sand" wax http://www.flameworld.com/candles/asp/candle-sand-wax.aspx

Here is some info about making sand candles...

The pouring temperature of the wax determines how thick the sand "crust" will be on the final candle. Pouring the wax at about 225°F will give you a thin, light coating of sand. 250°F will give you a medium "crust". 275°F will give you a nice thick "crust".

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/moldedandpillarcandles/ss/sandcandles_3.htm

secondly i wish to make unusal secented candles to sell from a shop i hope to open around september if i make the candles now would the secnt be still as good and fresh by then:)

I will skip the sand part since there's been so many replies to it already.

If you're just starting out making candles, you'll be lucky to have your testing done and product made up by September. Possibly if you greatly limit the scents and sizes.... Either way... the scent will still be there.

Back to the subject, at hand.

There is "sand" wax out there. It is wax as fine as sand. You just place a wick in the container then pour the "sand" wax in, either solid or layered colors then heat gun the top so it doesen't spill. All of the "sand" wax out there is un-scented.

Here is just one place for "sand" wax http://www.flameworld.com/candles/asp/candle-sand-wax.aspx

I got a ton of this stuff of ebay a while ago...still sitting in my 3 seasons room. It's neat stuff to play with cause of the layers you can make. I think Candle Magic sells this (or did at one point) before the Ben Franlkins closed down I could get it there too. The scenting directions were to put the sand wax in a ziplock bag, add the FO and shake. It worked. The stuff stayed scented and smelled ok when lit but I never got farther then playing around with it...so there it all sits...LOL

I will skip the sand part since there's been so many replies to it already.

If you're just starting out making candles, you'll be lucky to have your testing done and product made up by September. Possibly if you greatly limit the scents and sizes.... Either way... the scent will still be there.

thanks for eveyones answer i have made many unusual candles lately and have tested them via friends and family so now is the time to get down to making my stock ready i just really needed to make sure the scent would last i have been making and testing over the past couple of months once again thank you all

All the directions out there say to heat at high temps.

Dose the sand stick at such a low temp? You need a thick coat of sand of about 1/2".

Yes it does. I've never been one to blindly follow directions...:D .