Feather Palm Wax Pillar Wick Testing Results

I have been test burning 6 palm wax pillars today.

They are all 3" pillars. I used the following wicks:

LX20

RRD 50

RRD 55

45 ply cotton braid

36 ply cotton braid

1/10 square braid

After several 1.5 hr. burns. Here are the results (sorry no pics ~ left camera at work!)

LX20 good burn to begin with then got smaller and smaller. 1" melt pool. No Good!

RRD 50 - Good melt pool but wick started mushrooming after 1 hr. and wick started to lean to one side causing uneven melt pool. No good.

RRD 55 - OMG! Perfect! 3/8" shell, consistent burn, consistent melt pool, good size flame, never over done! This is not a wax that you can hug so a small shell to me seems perfect!

45 play flat braid (used on the 3"x9" pillars) same as RRD55, perfect in all aspects.

36 ply - good burn, but larger shell.

1/10 square braid - Small melt pool, and flame eventually got smaller.

So my recommendations are RRD55 for 3" - 6" pillars and 45 ply flat braid (spooled wicking) for 9" and up pillars.

Oh and by the way, my pillars scented in leather and wranger butt (my own mix) are beautiful!

I have ordered the CSN 12 and 14 wicks and will test with those, but RRD 55 and the flat braid are readily available at most candle suppliers.

I'll bring camera home tomorrow and show you pics!

Happy Plam Pouring!

Carrie

I agree with Top. I think that you'll find that when you test burn for a minimum of 3 hrs. that those larger wicks will give you a blow out.

Also keep in mind when testing that some customers will light it and let it burn much longer than the recommended 3 hrs.

For SheilaW:

You were right, the RRD55 and 45 ply are too big. Shell is way to thin....OK, on to more testing with RRD50. Waiting on my CSN 12 and 14's to come in.

LX20 way too small as is 1/10 sq. braid, and 36 ply flat braid.

Just trying a little of this and that.*faint*

Carrie - think you should have ordered the 11's. I just updated my burn thread and for a power burner - like me - 12 is to big. I am going with 11's and explain to burn for at least 3 hr or it will tunnel. Better safe than sorry :smiley2:

For SheilaW:

You were right, the RRD55 and 45 ply are too big. Shell is way to thin....OK, on to more testing with RRD50. Waiting on my CSN 12 and 14's to come in.

LX20 way too small as is 1/10 sq. braid, and 36 ply flat braid.

Just trying a little of this and that.*faint*

I use 36 ply. The firts 3 hours burn it mays seem underwicked.. but when I let them burn for more they start to melt the shell. there is a pic in the galleri by ladyjs and she used a 36 ply, her oillar is acting like mine.

HTH