Seized CP to HP

eugenia

I've had quite a few CP batches seize lately. Working with pancake batter and suddenly it's cheesecake. This 5lb. batch was supposed to be a light blue swirl, had a green tint and then seized. I tossed it in the crock and continued to cook it. Added lots more blue and here is the result. Bars still need to be cleaned up. Not a pretty swirl, but not a re-batch either!

e

oxygen.jpg

Good save. So you're still having problems with that recipe, eh? Saw you post about it on the 'Dish. :( What a bummer to have something working like that and then all of a sudden go crazy on ya. Hope you get that sorted out.

Good save. So you're still having problems with that recipe, eh? Saw you post about it on the 'Dish. :( What a bummer to have something working like that and then all of a sudden go crazy on ya. Hope you get that sorted out.

It's very weird to have a recipe work for a long time and suddenly stop working. I keep changing the recipe in hopes of finding my new perfect one. I've also been working with a lot of untested FO's. Some batches have gone bad before the FO, so it's the recipe. Maybe it's the weather change. I really don't know.

The good news is that they've all been saved; either from continuing to HP or rebatch.

e

Hey E, could it possibly be the extremely humid weather we are having her lately? I don't know if that even effects soap or not, but it was my first thought.

You always make such beautiful things. :D

I am wondering about that. This is my regular recipe

5% Castor

5% Shea Butter

10% Coconut

15% PKO

20% Palm

10% something else soy/sunflower/safflower etc.

30% Rice Bran Oil

Lots of experienced soapers have looked at that recipe and said it looks fine. I've been told castor is the culprit, but I've been using castor since day one. It's also been suggested that my palm is not good, but I don't buy it in bulk; it's individual bottles and this has happened with several different bottles.

It's a mystery.

e

Eugenia, Have you by any chance changed suppliers on your PKO flakes? I just got some from a new supplier and have had the two batches I used them in get so thick I couldn't stir. I called the supplier asking if they had stearic or Ewax mixed in the flakes and of course they said no one else had complained. I threw away that 10 lb bag and ordered again from the usual source.

Eugenia, Have you by any chance changed suppliers on your PKO flakes? I just got some from a new supplier and have had the two batches I used them in get so thick I couldn't stir. I called the supplier asking if they had stearic or Ewax mixed in the flakes and of course they said no one else had complained. I threw away that 10 lb bag and ordered again from the usual source.

It is a new bucket of PKO, but it was happening with the old bucket too, both were from WSP. I can try lowering the % of PKO to see if that helps. I just got some Babassu in so that definitely is do-able. Batch I made Tuesday night went OK, less palm, no castor, + babassu.

e

Hey hun... sometimes it's the oils. Sometimes it's the fragrance oils... Normally mine will rice on me if I use a certain fragrance oils from certain suppliers.. not sure what does it but it happens to the best of us. At least you saved it and that is a really pretty blue you have there love the bowl you have them in as well...

Hope the issue stops... I'd retrack and find out what's causing it.

HUGS

Hey e,

From what i have gathered....

Trace Accelerators are:

Shea butter

Lard

Castor

Cocoa butter

grapefruitseed extract

PKO (esp in high %)

Medium Accelerator are:

Palm

soy

Slow:

Sunflower

Olive

Canola

hey girl u listed castor twice ...so u doing 10% castor or just 5%?? lol if so u are missing 5% of something.

4 of ur oils are fast tracers but ur hard oils is only 50%. hmmmm even then ur recipe looks perfectly fine. If it isnt something in one of the oils cld it be ur soaping temperature? or the hot weather?

Hey e,

Trace Accelerators are:

Shea butter

Lard

Castor

Cocoa butter

grapefruitseed extract

PKO (esp in high %)

Medium Accelerator are:

Palm

soy

Slow:

Sunflower

Olive

Canola

hey girl u listed castor twice ...so u doing 10% castor or just 5%??4 of ur oils are fast tracers but ur hard oils is only 50%. hmmmm even then ur recipe looks perfectly fine. If it isnt something in one of the oils cld it be ur soaping temperature? or the hot weather?

Just 5% castor. Weird thing is, I've been soaping this recipe for more than 2 years without incident. Maybe it is the weather. Or bad luck :(

e

Hey e,

Trace Accelerators are:

Shea butter

Lard

Castor

Cocoa butter

grapefruitseed extract

PKO (esp in high %)

Medium Accelerator are:

Palm

soy

Slow:

Sunflower

Olive

Canola

hey girl u listed castor twice ...so u doing 10% castor or just 5%?? lol if so u are missing 5% of something.

4 of ur oils are fast tracers but ur hard oils is only 50%. hmmmm even then ur recipe looks perfectly fine. If it isnt something in one of the oils cld it be ur soaping temperature? or the hot weather?

I just soaped 100% shea for a single oil swap on the Dish and it didn't accelerate at all.

I've had strange things happen with weather changes. For example, there are certain times of the year when I can't make a batch that doesn't ash. It drives me crazy. My guess is that it's the weather.

The only other thing to consider is your soaping temps. Maybe you've just gotten more impatient over time, lol., and you're soaping sooner and not letting things cool down enough. Is that possible?

The only other thing to consider is your soaping temps. Maybe you've just gotten more impatient over time, lol., and you're soaping sooner and not letting things cool down enough. Is that possible?

It is possible as I've been known to not take temps at all... Just wait til they look cool. In fact, some of my hard oils have been getting ready to firm up again (you could see tiny flecks) by the time I soaped so I'm thinking that's not it.

e

hmmmm......i've got it e, its without a doubt u've got a soap faerie or pixie messing with ya girl lol :P

Janis glad u brought that up abt shea, i read that it A, on another forum but never really noticed it myself but figured i cldnt tell since i had used a very small %.

hmmmm......i've got it e, its without a doubt u've got a soap faerie or pixie messing with ya girl lol :P

Ange, the fairies stayed away last night. Only 10% palm in this one and no castor. Still a little thicker than I'd like and on a good day I am swirl impaired.

santirini2.jpg