PB&J soap

mslegacy

Ok, after doing up six batches of soap, I ventured into the peanut butter soap! I made a 3 pound soap, split it in half, scented 1 with Strawberry Jam from BCN (smells really good!) and colored this with paprika, only because I dont have a red color yet. the other 1 I added 3TBSP of real peanut butter, no color, no fragrance. You can smell the peanut butter very well! When I put the peanut butter in, and stick blended, it went from no trace to custard trace in like 2 min. Very fast. But, then I went to the strawberry, scented and colored, took about 10 minutes to get to med trace. I was afraid the Peanut butter was going to seize or rice, but it didnt. cooperated very well. Poured each in layers, swirled. Now it is resting. I also added 3tsp of salt to the lye water, as I have heard the peanut butter makes the soap soft. So we will see. Will post pics tomorrow!

When you sale this I would put a warning on the label about having peanuts in it. Some are so allergic to peanuts it causes death.

I would also sterilize EVERYTHING that has come in contact with the peanutbutter.

My daughter's school has banned peanuts due to a near death of a 3rd grader several years ago.

I don't know if the peanut butter has to be ingested or not. But better safe then sorry.

Anyone lese have concers about the peanuts?

But I would LOVE to smell it. I bet it is divine!!!

No plans to sell this, as I am no where near done testing recipes or anything yet. This was just an experiment, and is for personal use only. I like to just try things. Amazing things happen when you experiment! :wink2: And I have no idea what this is going to turn out like either. We shall see!

I understand the importance of allergies, my very close uncle has severe allergies to milk and eggs. You should see what he has to eat! I used a cardboard box for the mold, so it would be disposable, and the peanut butter side went into regular glass bowls instead of my usual soap making items. Always good to be cautious!

My son is allergic to peanuts (we have the EpiPen and everything) but I don't expect everyone to stop having peanut products (except his school & summer camp - which I expect to enforce their peanut free policy, but that's another issue...).

Have fun with your peanut butter soap - just label it carefully and make sure there is no peanut butter on the outside wrapper and all should be well. As consumers we are responsible for reading the labels, IMHO.

Sterilizing isn't it - just washing off the peanut residue is fine, and all-purpose sprays are adequate for that. Anything that cuts grease will do it.

ETA: so go ahead and sell it - just label prominently... And keep the creative juices flowing...

(I miss peanut butter cookies... :( )