Everlasting - how??

Sorry, but after much searching, I haven't found anywhere that says HOW to make an everlasting pillar candle.

I've seen posts with mentions of using skewers and clips (but no how to's or details), posts mentioning that pourette has silicone plugs (but I've heard people are currently having problems getting some orders via pourette and problems aside, no how-to's once again)

I've also read about drilling into the candle...I don't want to do this.

I've seen many posts asking how - but no explanations or answers. Does anyone know where a tutorial can be found or can explain how they make successful everlasting candles? I just want something nice for my dining room table and would love to try palm wax.

Well,:D I've just started making some of the palm pillar forevers, maybe I can help somewhat!!:wink2: Someone from here sent me one of the inserts(TY Kay!), which I put in the bottom of the mold & then plaace a votive glass over the top of that. Then I pour in the wax & hope the glass doesn't flip over:cry2: . To make sure it doesn't flip, I stand at the counter for about 10-15 mins, waiting for the wax to cool enough to hold the glass in, with a knife inside the mold holding the cup down!! It's a PITA but we haven't found anything yet to use that can go down inside & have enough weight on the outside to hold it down:undecided I hope this makes sense to you!!! Like I said i'm no expert at these, maybe someone else who makes them can help!!

ETA There is someone else besides Pourette that carries the inserts can't tremember who, maybe creative gem molds?? I'll search & see who it is.

LOL - that does sound like a PITA. I guess I was thinking there was some magical mold that made the inset for you, then you just placed the tea candle holder in it once it's cooled :embarasse

Why do you have to put the insert in the mold, then the glass holder over it? Can't you just put the glass holder in upside down?? :undecided

When I made them, I just turned the glass over in the mold, centered it over the wick hole and used a skewer/chop stick thing to keep a little bit of pressure on it while it set. And it set faster if rubbed an ice cube on the outside of the mold.

Janet from Creativegemsmolds can help too. I found some little heavy glass candle holders designed to hold a small taper. They are a little larger than the silicone plug so the tealight has more clearance. For those I put a rubber plug in the hole so it doesn't leak. Unfortunately I have only found two of them so far but keeping my eyes open at thrift stores. Ddonita Louise

I have a couple questions about the everlasting pillars... do you use fragrance oil in them? If you incorporate a tealight cup or votive cup, is it removeable later? (for example, to clean wax out of the votive glass)

If you embed the glass holder into the wax then no you can't remove it for cleaning. If you drill the hole for the holder then yes you can remove it for cleaning.

I am working on an idea for an everlasting pillar kit. It will have everything you need to make them. I will offer the kits as votive or tealight only and both together. Maybe I will get this finished this summer, the slow season for me.

That's a good idea... I think a lot of people would be interested!

cathy what size mold is that? I love the shape, they are really beautiful, you've convisced me to try them! Also can you tell me where you get you palm wax and molds from? Thanks

The mold is a 3x4 octagon. Candlescience has the best prices on them. My palm is the palm 2 from candlewic. The glass insert I get at ACMoore, it's big enough for votives.:cheesy2:

Is this like a hurricane candle almost? I am confused. Is it a pillar candle with a inset to hold votives? Can someone shine some light on this for me?

Well I guess it's like a hurricane!! It is a pillar with a glass votive insert in it. I love them!!!:D

So you could use a shot glass for the insert? What wax would you use to make the everlasting part? Would it require a water bath set up?

You could but I wouldn't. You want to use either a glass tealight or votive holder so you can insert a tealight or votive candle.

The whole point of an everlasting piller is you can put a tealight or votive candle in the top and burn the piller forever without the piller melting down. Just keep adding new tealights or votives when they burn up.

As far as the wax you would use a high melt point hurricane wax. Then use a votive/pillar wax (which is a lower melt point) for the tealight or votive. That way the tealight or votive will not get hot enough to melt the pillar.

You could but I wouldn't. You want to use either a glass tealight or votive holder so you can insert a tealight or votive candle.

The whole point of an everlasting piller is you can put a tealight or votive candle in the top and burn the piller forever without the piller melting down. Just keep adding new tealights or votives when they burn up.

As far as the wax you would use a high melt point hurricane wax. Then use a votive/pillar wax (which is a lower melt point) for the tealight or votive. That way the tealight or votive will not get hot enough to melt the pillar.

Hi Candle Man!! Sounds like you've been doing these for awhile!! I just started. Have any pics to share with us??!!:D