I was wondering if anyone knows why to pour the c-3 so hot? I have the sink hole problem with it as I have read that many others have with this wax. We used ezsoy before and had wonderful results, but found the c-3 45 minutes from our shop and would save so much in shipping. I'm having a hard time loving this wax. We poured our ezsoy slushing, if we didn't -sink holes. That is why I was curious why the pour temp on c-3 is 165. Does any one know? Our supplier is new to the wax and mostly a container wholesale distrib. Thank you all. Karen:)

Hi.......I live fairly close to you. I'm experimenting with the C3 from Fillmore also. I don't have my notes in front of me at the moment but I've been testing it straight and also adding other waxes to it. I've poured it hot and also about 140* with better results. My last batch of testers I poured a blend of C3 and Golden Brand 444 and my candles looked great....excellent hot throw too. I'm switching from another soy recipe I've been using for a couple of years due to shipping charges. I carry a lot of fragrances so testing has been a pain but like I said...so far all testers using the C3/444 are great so I think this will be my new soyblend recipe.

And to answer your question...I got the sinkhole close to the wick when I poured hot.

Maggie

Thanks for the responses. My sister and I are about pulling our hair out( hence the name of our business "Sisters @ Wicks End") We have tested this wax for about 3 weeks now working out the kinks testing wicks none of which we are very happy with. We are on our cdns now. We need to wick them up and test again. So far they are our favorites, they do not mushroom like the others. We have our 30 scents to test once we narrow down to our favorites I can't wait! LOL. We have the premier 700 to come yet and have no idea what to expect. It was nice to hear from someone near by. Thanks for all the advice.

When I first started using soy wax...it was the joy wax from Natures Garden. I was using zinc wicks for a year or more and then decided to try cotton wicks. I stayed with the cotton till I started testing a 50/50 parasoy...cotton wicks smoked way too much so back to zinc. Next I started using the Perfect Blend from KY Candle Supply and went back to cotton because they burn hot. My next "recipe" was adding some of the 50/50 to the Perfect Blend and have been pouring that for about 2 years. Cotton worked great in that blend. Keith at Fillmore said that Cargill recommends using HTP wicks in the C3. I had used these wicks back when I was pouring straight paraffin and I liked them. I did NOT like them in the C3...so now I'm testing with cotton and my results have been great. Vickey at KY Candle Supply always says you need a good hot melt pool in soy to throw the scent so I'm sticking to her advice.

I was just up in my shop pouring an order and checked my notes. I've been pouring the C3/444 blend at 150*.

I've found in certain types of jars I get sinkholes and none in others. Seems the straight sided jars do fine but anything that curves I'll get sinkholes.

You just have to do a lot of experimenting and testing to find out what will work for you. :D

Maggie

I don't pour C-3 hot. I find when I do, I always get sinkholes like you stated but I'm not sure about any additives. I don't use them. I always pour at about 140 degrees and usually never have a problem. I wait until the wax starts to get a little cloudy, not slushy and then pour very slowly. Try this and see how it works for you.

Here is part of an email I got from Mary at Cargill when I asked her if C-3 was mixed with any other oils.

"Our wax is made from soybean oil which is under the classification of vegetable oils. The product contains a certain amount of additives to help improve functionality but does not contain botanical oils. "

After much pouring and testing today I've found that the c-3 pours nicer for us a little cooler than they advise, about 130 was good for us. Not many sinkholes and relatively smooth tops. I have figured out for the c-3 that I love the cdn wicks, so far they give a good melt pool without mushrooming at all. I like them much better than the htp's, rrd's, eco's and cotton cores. Just some info for all of you struggling like we were with our new soy wax. Thank you all. Karen

I've used C-3 since it came on the market. Try pouring it cooler if you want but I've learned to pour hot and just do a second pour when the candles have cooled at least eight hours. That's what works for me but I've always done two pours no matter what wax I used because of the sink holes. C-2 did it too.

Fire

i also get my wax from fillmore and i pour cool and cloudy works like a charm.

I use C-3 and do it this way too! As soon as I see it start to cloud, I pour. Also, I use 3% USA, which raises the melt point slightly, so I usually see the cloudyness start about 145-150. glass adhesion is perfect and tops are mostly perfect, only a slight imperfection around the wick.... one quick zap of the heat gun and that is all gone.

I've tested many different wicks....right now I am on the cotton cores, so far they are my favorite. haven't tried the CDNs yet, but have heard good things with them in this wax, so I may be forced to give them a try! :rolleyes:

Love the name of your company! That's exactly how I feel at times. I also am using C-3 as I can pick it up locally and save $$$$ on shipping. Sometimes I get sink holes, sometimes I don't. I find it works best in room temp tins, don't know why. Cold glass, warm glass, hot glass...some come out fine, some sink????

I'm ordered EZ soy and loved the way it poured but almost every candle cracked either slightly or completely through??

My next step will be testing the two together???:D

We used the ezsoy and loved it and we had everything tested out. We had to pour at a very slushly stage to keep it from cracking and the only problem we ever had was poor glass adhesion which never bothered us too much. We used the htp 126 for our 16 oz mason and the htp 105 for our 8 oz jelly. We are still working on the wicking for the c-3. It is beyond frustrating. I think we like the premier 700 series wicks. We don't know the pricing on them yet, but they burn nicely with hardly any soot and mushrooming. I am very impressed with them. It is so nice talking to you all. Karen